1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

RECOIL PAD CHANGE CAN EFFECT YOUR POI !!!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by senior smoke, Jun 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

HELLO:
    i have always patterned my guns. i look for poi, and if my barrel is shooting straight. i want to know exactly where my gun is shooting. recently i changed recoil pads and was shocked when i patterned my gun with the new pad, that it was shooting 3 inches lower than with my other pad that was previously on the gun. the original pad was a standard trap pad that remington places on their 870 tb's. it has a toe on the bottom of the pad, which was digging into my fat chest. i tried a rocker pad, and i than noticed the gun appearing to shoot flater. obviously the barrel didn't change it's poi, the new pad changed my sight picture when mounted to my shoulder. the new pad gave the gun more down pitch than the original pad. a friend of mine will not change pads, beads, or even take off his stock. he feels the stock will never be exactly the same mounted on the gun as before. he does not want to take a chance of changing anything, when it took such a long time to learn where it actually shoots. let me know what you think? if you are breaking good scores, why take the chance of screwing up your gun. if you make a change, write it down, so if it doesn't pan out, you can get your gun as close as possible the way it was before. have you ever made a minor change to your gun, and noticed the gun appeared to shoot differntly, good or bad?
    steve balistreri

2. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Steve, if your stocks comb was parallel with the rib, how could the POI or your cheek mount change enough to make any difference? NOW, if the comb dropped toward the front or sloped toward the pad, that would change it in a heartbeat. Little things add up in a hurry when dealing with angles and changes. Hap

3. senior smoke

Hap- i have a monte carlo stock, but sadly most remington mc stocks are not straight and level, mine seems to get lower the closer to the receiver you go.
    steve

4. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Steve, thats exactly why the POI changes when you change the length. Longer, higher POI, within reason of course, shorter, just the opposite. Thats the reason I prefer a parallel comb, much more change friendly. Even when your head is in a little different position. Hap

5. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

And it's very easy to make into a parallel comb on a 870, just angle cut the stock where it meets the receiver. It only takes a few thousants off of the wood to correct this problem. See someone like Tom Larkin @ the Stock Shop to correct this.

Another problem that I can read between the lines and see, is your gun mount, if your gun mount is correct you will have the same POI every time. It sound like you need to learn how to bring the gun up to your face and then slide it back to your shoulder.

Tom Strunk

6. senior smoke

Tom-i have always had terrible gun stance. trying to work on that.
    steve

7. Post  2

Post 2 TS Member

No majic here. Gun fitters often change the pitch to affect POI. Post-2

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
shotguns butt pad up or down change the poi
can changing angle or length of recoil pad change poi on a shotgun
changing poi on a shotgun
poi changes with shotgun recoil pad

what the effect of droping your stock pad on a trap gun