1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Recoil pad/Butt plate installation.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Calkidd, Mar 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

I cannot foresee any problem with doing this, but I thought I would pose the question here to make sure I am not over looking anything.

I will be installing an adjustable plate along with a recoil pad here shortly. However, I was thinking I would install brass threaded inserts into the stock instead of using wood screws. I recently stripped one of the holes and was thinking I would glue a wooden dowel and re-drill the hole. But It seems to me the threaded inserts is a better alternative and much more secure.

Any thoughts?

Bryan

[​IMG]

2. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

It's done all the time. The ones you pictured are probably overkill, but will work as well as any other. You can buy some thinner ones that won't require you drill as big a hole initially.

3. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

Those are exactly the ones that I use all the time. Used with a 10-24 stainless steel flat head bolt they are self centering so when ever they are removed, they are easily re-installed.

Ed Yanchok

4. bob easton

bob easton TS Member

A very common solution to the problem you had. You;ll be glad you used them.

--
    Bob Easton

5. Calkidd

Thanks for the comments. I feel much better installing these.

Bryan

6. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

Make sure you get the correct undersized hole drilled for the thread pitch on these inserts. Check your tap/drill chart for the correct size. Otherwise you will snap off the brass where your screwdriver inserts into it. The brass is very soft and can snap off easily and then you have a real mess because you can't get it all the way in or take it out to replace it.

I prefer the steel ones that don't use a slotted scewdriver to install.

Kevin

7. vdt

vdt Active Member

use a Forster bit not a drill bit

8. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Bucko has it right. Use the Steel inserts with Allen head as opposed to the slotted Brass inserts. I also take a bar of soap and add to the threads before screwing it into the wood. It just helps lubricate the insert. I never had to use a Forstner Bit for the install but I guess if you want to spring for a small one it can't hurt. Good Forstner Bits are not cheap and cheap ones are not worth owning.

Here is some of the Allen Head inserts and one Brass slotted. These are quite large for the job but they make all sizes. I also prefer Allen Head Cap Screws as opposed to Phillips that hold most recoil pads on from the factory.
    grntitan_2009_2503220.jpg

9. Calkidd

One more question. As some of your may know Beretta has recessed holes in the stock. I am assuming I should not worry about this and install the inserts?

[​IMG]

10. Calkidd

Bueller? Bueller?

11. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

Bryan,
    Did you shoot your gun since changing the pitch? If so, did this cure your problem If not, based on your upper body bulk, I would be prone to mount a rocker pad and give it a try.

Surfer

12. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

I use a stainless version of the brass insert pictured. I don't even try to get the holes perfect anymore. I drill an oversize hole, attach the inserts to the pad and set it in epoxy in the hole. Perfect centering every time. Apply some oil to the surface of the insert and it can be easily removed.

13. Calkidd

Thank you all for the concern and taking note of the other thread. I did shoot my gun with a 1/4" spacer and nothing changed with the cheek slap.

I personally spoke with Rollin Oswald the other night and we discussed how I was mounting the gun, my posture/positioning during my mount and how the gun was behaving as I shot. Rollin came to the conclusion pitch was not the issue and it appears the position of the pad may be too low. I am 6'5" 280lbs. So as you can deduce the typical 14.5" LOP is probably too short and the position of the pad is not correct. Now, this is just by talking to Rollin over the phone. He hasn't seen me shoot or pictures of my gun mount yet, this is all based on pertinent questions he asked me.

I was told once you mount the gun to your shoulder the comb should be near or on the same line as your cheek bone. This way your head should move very little when anchoring your cheek on to the comb.

I took into consideration the additional thickness of the plate and ordered the correct pad. I should have just a hair over 15" of LOP. The LOP without a recoil pad is 13 7/8". The plate is going to be 5/16" and the pad will be 15/16". That gives me a LOP of 15 1/8". If at anytime I come back to visit the pitch issue I am confident I can remove the inserts and have the stock cut or add pitch spacers.

I have installed inserts in the past, just not in a gun stock. The trick is to NOT use the flat head screw driver, but to use a bolt and a jam nut to install the insert into the wood.

Addressing the hole spacing. I have noticed that Kickeez advertises their hole spacing is 3 1/8" or 3.125. I measured the spacing with my dial micrometer and it came out to 3.125. However, I am going to wait of course until the plate is in my hands before I do any drilling.

Again, thanks for the comments.

Bryan

14. dead on 4

Well it seems you're in the throws of tuning a new gun for fit and comfort, I'm sure you'll have it worked by next months seminar.

Surfer

15. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Surfer,

I want him to get it all set up like he likes it. Then when he comes to the Grand in August, I'm gonna whip his big ass like a red headed step child on the Trap field. :)

16. Calkidd

Actually Surfer, I am hoping to have all the adjustable hardware install so Phil can help with the fitment.

Bryan

17. dead on 4

Grntitan be nice! you don't want Bryan to squash you like a bug on 99, besides when Phil gets finnished with him, he'll be grinding his way to glory, nothing but puff balls.............

Surfer

18. Calkidd

Thanks for confidence Surfer.

19. Calkidd

Well just as some of you warned me I broke a tang of of a brass insert. The thing is it was just starting to bite into the wood. I was very surprised it broke so soon as a matter of fact I removed it with a pair of pliers it was so loose.

I took Grntitan's advice and bought a set of metal inserts and got them installed.

A friend of mine has a mill and made me a replica of the 100 straight adjustable pad. I just need to grind it down to fit.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

The 100 Straight style adjuster will also move side to side, not just up, down, and twistable

Ed Yanchok

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

adjustable buttplate installation

do you glue the recoil pad to the plate

recoil for making threads in plate

ruger trap and skeet with adjustable butt and cheek pad