1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Recoil pad-----bigger =better????

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Cooper, Sep 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cooper

Cooper TS Member

Just curious how others look at this. A larger recoil pad has more surface contact with your shoulder thus dispersing the felt recoil over a greater area, at least it seems so. But..is it true? Maybe the larger pad actually has a negative impact because it doesn't seat into your shoulder as well and causes fit issues. I think most people size their pad off the rear of their stock because you want everything to match up and look pretty. Has anyone ever tried to custom fit a recoil pad to a persons shoulder shape? Does it even matter? Recoil pad fit has always been and issue for me because I just don't have a clearly defined shoulder pocket to seat the pad in, I have tried many sizes and styles and really have never found something I'm happy with.

Cooper

Just to be clear, I'm talking a pad with a larger surface area, not a thicker pad.

2. zeroed4x

zeroed4x TS Member

Personally I've found that xtra large soft pads roll sideways on me just enough to be worthless.

Depending upon a persons shooting geometry/form, how sensitive they are to recoil and how much pull they use when mounting the gun, an x large soft pad can cause your site picture to change from shot to shot as the pad gives just slightly with a firm pull to the shoulder and then your head placement can change. It depends on a few variables and the individual shooter but, they just don't work for me.

You are better off with a Danuser or Bump Buster pneumatic that is adjustable butt plate with a normal size kick-eez or limb saver pad installed.
    If your not going to spend the money on a recoil reduction device, a standard size pad but a good one is a sure bet.

3. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Cooper..... I have the same problem you do when it comes to a defined "shoulder pocket" and have gone through several different recoil pads trying to solve the problem. I finally ran across the Kick-eez pad on the site above. Problem solved!..... Just my experience..... Dan Thome (Trap2)

4. brownk80

brownk80 Member

I have a pad that is about 1/4" bigger than the adjustable butt plate it screws to on my K-80. I have it adjusted and no one, including me, notices it when they shoot the gun. It just spreads the recoil over a large area. Only stock makers notice it and it drives them nuts but who cares!!

Brownk80

5. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

If you have a pad adapter like the ones in the photo below made for your gun, you can obviously have the pad adjusted where it is most comfortable for you. But you can also have the pad left full-size; no one will notice because the pad's plate isn't aligned with the one on the stock and doing so has two benefits - the pad's surface area will be larger and you can replace the pad yourself because no grinding will be required.

averaged_2008_030312.jpg

By the way, I use the Kick-Eez Rocker pad almost exclusively. The toe doesn't dig into your shoulder like a concave pad's and it feels like the Gooey but isn't so soft that the gun can move around on your shoulder.

Ed

6. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

I was in hurry to get a pointy/concave painful thing off my doubles gun. The result is a GOOEY pad uncut on Morgan hardware, it may never get cut!

I put adjusting hardware on a Browning, used a brand new Browning logo Pachmeyer style pad, just wanted the logo on the gun. Took one look at the POINT/toe on the pad when the install was done, went back to the belt and rounded it to a rocker contour.

I just like the rocker feel on my shoulder!

Whatever floats your boat, makes shooting comfortable, and with recoil pads there is NO danger issue...............

Just do it!

Shoot well!

Al Lingham

7. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

I have tried Rocker pads and they are quite comfortable BUT--I never mount the gun in the same place in my shoulder using the Rocker..could be high--could be low--who knows?...SMOKIT

8. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Years ago I found a recoil pad that I really liked. It was made by seahase?? Can't remember how it was spelled, but I can no longer find it.
    Steve Balistreri

9. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Bigger recoil pads are only good if you can contour the pad so that it all touches your shoulder pocket. If it sticks out above your shoulder or misses you skin somewhere else, you're better off with a smaller pad that makes good contact.

MK

10. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Steve, you're pretty close on the spelling but those pads haven't been made for a long time. They were soft but had slots across their body that you could put rubber inserts in to stiffen them for their full length or just where needed. The slots were angled upward from inside to near the face of the pad so when the pad collapsed under recoil, the butt of the gun went down a little so the comb couldn't hit you in the face.

Ed

11. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

I've had excellent results making "custom" pads for a few.. very hard to fit shooters with collar bones sticking out.. by using a kickez pad..sometimes inverted..removing the base and using silicon (black)..as an additional filler..the reattaching the buttplate.. a long process..but if fit is important.. you do what you have to do..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.