1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

????recoil pad becoming slippery????

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by RidefastShootstraight, Oct 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RidefastShootstraight

RidefastShootstraight TS Member

Hi, just wondering if there is anything I can do with my limbsaver recoil pad which is becoming more and more shiny and slippery, is there anything to do or to use to renew the stickiness? or is this something that wears away and gets thrown out once in a while? my pad is 1 yr old,used on most weekends. thank you for your kind help.

T.S.

2. RidefastShootstraight

RidefastShootstraight TS Member

3. oletymer

oletymer Member

+1 for light sanding.

4. B.C.

B.C. Member

rub it on one of the concrete pad's before you shoot, worked many times for me ! B.C.

5. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

sand it up a bit, this works with golf club grips also, 180 grit works good for me. after you sand it. Make plans for a new one.

6. Sam (ATA Noobie)

Sam (ATA Noobie) Member

Has anyone ever tried sipping (sp?) Maybe I have the term wrong, but they do it to tires to increase bad weather handling, and also to extend the life of tires in other countries.

You simply take a knofe and make shallow criss-cross incissions in the rubber. This wouldn't change the 'surface' per se, but seems like it would give the pad better grip/bite.

7. Doubles Shooter

Doubles Shooter Member

I'm having the same problem with my Kick-Eze. It's raising the dickens with the second shot when it slips. One of the gang at the club said to wipe it with acetone, just keep it off the finish. Has anyone tried this cure?

8. Trapgeezer

Trapgeezer TS Member

Buy a Gooey. Six years in and mine still sticks like the day I put it on. Pretty colors too.

9. larryjk

larryjk Member

dblshtr: I install pads all the time and acetone is the way to go to bring back the "tackiness". But acetone will really remove finish. I put the acetone on an old t-shirt rag and rub the pad to "liven" it. Works great, just don't breathe too much acetone or you will wake up lying on the floor.

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

I have checkered them with a file, sanded them, cut fine grooves with a knife, cleaned them with acetone and scrubbed them with a wire brush. Each of these things helped a little for a couple of weeks and then I bought a new pad. Soft rubber things just wear out.

Pat Ireland

11. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

It's a characteristic and problem with the Limbsaver pads I have had. I replaced the pads and got rid of the problem. The replacement usually wasn't a Limbsaver.

12. mikezookie

mikezookie Member

TS,
    Gooey pads are available from most gunsmiths who travel the trap circuit because they take special care to grind.

To solve this problem I installed a pad and used it without grinding and found it more comfortable because of the larger surface.

Give it a try you might like the way it stays were you put without slipping.

Mike

PS change the dot to .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

can acetone be used to remove finish off a recoil pad