1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Recoil pad angle and shoulder pain

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dr.Longshot, May 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I have my recoil pad set on an angle to fit my shoulder, but am I putting more strain on my shoulder Socket Joint and causing a problem with my ROTATOR
    CUFF Pain, In other words am I pushing my rotator cuff out of it's socket and aggravating shoulder pain?

I was shooting the recoil pad in a straight vertical up and down position and by adjusting it at an angle am having shoulder pain.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

2. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

I been putting up with the same thing for a few years now. Thought about doing the same thing to my BT-99 and Citori Trap. I thought the angle my take some of the pain away. Guess not. Mine hurts at night when you are relaxed, don't notice it while I'm shooting. My neighbor just had the operation and he has been laid up for awhile now.

3. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

As my doctor would say, If what you are doing hurts, stop doing it! Move your pad back to vertical. I'll send you a bill. Mark

4. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Gary: In my opinion guns are still being built using turn of the century ergonometrics.

Particularly as we age, our chest profile is not the way it was when we were in our twenties chasing girls. I now shoot with an angled pad, much like the Rocker design and more toe in, but I also have the heel of the pad closer to the trigger than the top of the pad.

I found this out many years ago (1999) by accident. Giacomo was going to Italy for the Christmas holidays. He offered to take a stock design of mine with him and have the factory build it and then he'd bring it back with him after Xmas.

He did and did I get a lesson.

If I can find my drawing on this computer, I will post it because what I received was a shock. Aside from the Italians' understanding of the hand written numbers "1" and "7"... I wanted a 14 7/8" LOP, but they read my "7" as "1". I realized and knew that, but simply forgot - my error.

I sketched a LOP line from the trigger to the top of the recoil pad, and a second line from the trigger to the bottom of the recoil pad - I wanted a canted-in toe.

What Perazzi Italy did was think I wanted a convex (rounded) pad. How they ever managed to glue on a recoil pad was amazing. It was like gluing a recoil pad onto a bowling ball. I was unhappy, but accepting my error for the shortened LOP, the damn gun was a pleasure to shoot. This was years before the rocker style of pads came out.

I was older, certainly heavier at 200 pounds than my high school and college 145 pound wrestling weight, so the stock fit me better.

[​IMG]

Many of the things we have are a result of errors... in our favor.

Whiz

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Why not get the dang shoulder fixed? They can fix that and after some hard work with the physical therapy after the surgery you can be as good as new. I never did understand why folks would make themselves suffer with something they have perfected via surgery. Been there and done that. Pain free is the cats meow. It's gonna hurt and get worse until you solve the real issue. It ain't the gun, its your shoulder joint.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.