1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

recoil on shoulder replacement

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by gere, Sep 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gere

gere TS Member

would appreciate any info on shotgun shooting after shoulder replacement. I need recoil bearing shoulder done. Dr. thinks it should be alright, but I would like to hear from someone whom has had it done. Thank you, Gere

2. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I have had both shoulders replaced, in the traditional way (not the reverse ball type), in '05 and '06 respectively. The second was on the recoil side.

Anticipating accumulative damage from recoil, I had Pat McCarthy build two of his "Stock Lock" custom stocks for me. I am thoroughly convinced that this has kept me in the game. I once took my Stock Lock stock off for service and shot singles with 1oz. loads until I got it back. I thought there would be little difference in recoil shooting these light loads. Boy was I wrong. There was a big difference. I wont do that again, unless I have to.

The biggest problem I have is bringing the gun to my shoulder. Every time I mount the gun there is pain in both shoulders and that has increased over time. I have no pain after mounting the gun and none from the recoil. As long as that remains the same I will continue to shoot trap. I hope that is for a long time.

Make sure you do your therapy religiously and never stop. It's the key to your recovery and your longevity in the sport. Good luck. Welcome to the club. Barry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

shouder replasement recoil

shoulder replacement and shooting shotgun

what gun to shoot after shoulder replacment

what recoil pad should i use after sholder replacement