1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Recoil of Win STEEL trap loads

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by pyrdek, May 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

Yesterday I shot a box of Winchester STEEL # 7 (NOT 7 1/2 but 7) 1 1/8 oz. 3 DE loads. Those things KICKED A MISSOURI MULE! This was using a Remington 1100 (gas operated semi-automatic). If the 1100 is supposed to soften the felt recoil, I sure as H*77 would not want to shoot them in a fixed breech gun!

It was so hard that it literally gave me a headache after only 15 or so rounds out of the 25. When I finished the first field, I went back to my normal load and the recoil was VERY, VERY much lower. Those steels were very hard hitting both the target and the shoulder. I would say they were almost as hard on the shoulder as an 1 1/2 oz hunting load in my field semi-auto.

Prior to this round I used a couple of other boxes of 3 DE 1 1/8 lead 7 1/2's with no recoil problem.

Only reason I bought two boxes is because our local store had them on sale for a price less than Remington Gun Clubs and I wanted to try them. I think I know now why they might not have been selling. Where I shoot still uses lead shot. Judging from the recoil of these shells, if it ever becomes necessary to go to steel, it might be time to hang up the shotgun.

I know some here have calculated that the recoil energy is the same for the same shot load & velocity shells but that calculation sure didn't prove true to me with these steel loads. Could it be that the steel requires such a heavier plastic wad that it jumps the recoil, or could it be the lack of any cushioning section in the wad? I did not disassemble a shell but I suspect that the steel shot cup has no or a very small cushioning section.

If you have shot Winchester Super Target steel trap loads, what is your perception of the recoil?

2. jdsfarms

jdsfarms Well-Known Member

I have used steel shot on certain sporting clay courses that require it and the first thing they explain is what chokes to use with steel shot,you need to be careful of the choke you use.If your using steel shot loads you should have no more than a modified choke for lead shot in your gun,if your choke is tighter than that could explain some of the recoil,I also think that steel is not soft like lead and gives a sharper recoil when it goes through the forcing cone.Jerry

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

Pushing shot through a forcing cone/choke would, if anything, decrease movement of the gun back. The shot going forward would tend to push any barrel restriction in the direction the shot is moving.

If a load is producing excessive recoil I would look at the weight and velocity of the shot. The weight of the powder and wad are usually minor factors.

Pat Ireland

4. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

What's the velocity printed on the box? Waste of powder in my book. 1200 fps is fast enough with 1 oz of steel. Smokes 'em. Maybe 1225 for yardage. There's a recipe on the Hodgdon site for steel 1 oz. You can get the components now too. Fear not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.