1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Recoil is cummulative ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tattooman, Apr 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tattooman

tattooman TS Member

Jan 21, 2011
    So what does this mean when they say in trap that recoil is cumulative ?
    I'm not sure what to make of this. I have a suspicion, but I don't want
    to guess what that means. I want to know what that really means, and
    what I should or should not expect over time, depending on what I do now.
    Can anyone explain what that means in plain english, and HOW that actually
    works, psyologically speaking, more or less.
  2. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2009
    The longer you shoot, the more the recoil affects the body. The longer you shoot and the more recoil you feel, the more likely you are to eventually develop a flinch in anticipation of it.

<I>Cumulative Recoil</I>... The table pertains to rifles, the text pertains to all recoil.

12 gauge... 2¾" (1 oz. at 1180 fps)......... 7.5 pound shotgun... 17.3 ft/lbs of free recoil<br>
    12 gauge... 2¾" (1 1/8 oz. at 1200 fps)... 7.5 pound shotgun... 23.0 ft/lbs of free recoil<br>
    12 gauge... 2¾" (1 1/4 oz. at 1330 fps)... 7.5 pound shotgun... 32.0 ft/lbs of free recoil<br>
    12 gauge... 2¾" (1 1/2 oz. at 1260 fps)... 7.5 pound shotgun... 45.0 ft/lbs of free recoil<br>
    12 gauge... 3" (1 5/8 oz. at 1280 fps)...... 7.5 pound shotgun... 52.0 ft/lbs of free recoil<br>
    12 gauge... 3" (1 7/8 oz. at 1210 fps)...... 8.75 pound shotgun... 54.0 ft/lbs of free recoil<br>

3. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2005
    Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada
    White Rattler should weigh in on this...he has 400K or so registered targets to his credit...what do you think Trev?
  4. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Jan 29, 1998
    I suspect you are getting more of a cowboy logic then anything you can quantify with a number of rounds fired.

Lots of guys shoot heavy shells and think thjat the recoil doesn't affect them since they do not feel any particular "Pain". Recoil being cummulative to me means this.

You may not feel like you were kicked when you started shooting and maybe you didn't, but after a number of years many of us develop flinches. This reasons you develop a flinch are as varied as the flinchers! Recoil is normally part of the equation if not the actual cause.

Your brain knows over time that an explosion is about to take place about 3 inches off the end of your nose.

There may come a time when your head wants to get away normally happen from that explosion. This is a flinch.

Some guys flinch when they get a slow pull, others Left hand flinch.

This is where the left hand pulls the forend down at the moment of firing.

These tend to happen over time hence the cummulative effect of recoil.

My favorte line is this one. The nice thing about a really good flinch is that it can be enjoyed by many!

This is why so many guys shoot an auto, with light shells, and that has been properly fit to them.

Anything you can do to lesson recpoil know will help you later as far as I am concerned.

I like heavy loads and I like them to go fast so I have guns that have all the above and I flinch every now and then. Jeff
  5. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    I know that White Rattler does not shoot heavy loads. I can shoot Super Handicap shells for maybe a couple of events and then I start doing bad things with the gun barrel.
  6. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Jan 29, 1998
    Prairie State
    MK/Unknown1 is sharing a perspective I have read about over the year in some of the better industry magazines... the reason for the push to lower actual and perceived recoil...

Thanks for the figures!

Jay Spitz
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.