1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Recoil Help

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 1100 classic trap shooter, Feb 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1100 classic trap shooter

1100 classic trap shooter TS Member

I now shoot a Browning Citori XT O/U with a Gracoil and Kick-Eez modified trap number 6 pad (The thin one). It's the 32" model and is ported, I also wear a browning vest with the reactor pad. I shoot 1 1/8 ounce loads with 2 3/4 or 3 dram. What else can I do to help the recoil? This gun still does not shoot as soft as my 1100 did (I know I should have kept the gun now). I like the gun it does not jam on doubles like my 1100. I have the LOP model gracoil, would it help to get the thickest recoil pad the number 10 pad 1 1/8" mine is 3/4" thick? Any other ideas? By the way the gracoil did help a lot.

2. kevin a.

kevin a. Member

shoot 1oz loads 2 3/4 dram would help
    and an o/u will not shoot as soft as an auto

kevin

3. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

Put a thick Trap Dude Gooey pad on it.

Surfer

4. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Adjustable butt plate and Trap Dude Gooey pad.

5. Jimborn

Jimborn TS Member

Here is the secret.....1 oz. Hard #8 17.5 Clays. DOWNRANGE 1 1/8 wad (Windjammer) Fed Paper if you can find them, or else the green one's will work just fine. Check your manual. But these will shoot as soft as you can get, and that is really going to make any flinching go away, they are soft, and deadly. NO recol so to speak, good luck, and hope this helps.....It will. Jim

6. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

If you want the maximum recoil reduction get a G-Square. The only thing better is a Beretta auto with a G-Square. G-Square puts more of their recoil reducers on Beretta autos than any other gun!

The Beretta auto will not malfunction on doubles!

Jim Skeel<BR>
    P/W Dealer/Distributor

7. dead on 4

Listen to Tron, he has a low cost solution.

Surfer

8. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

1100 Classic Shooter, just where does it feel as though your receiving the recoil? More specifically, top, bottom or throughout entire length of pad? Or is it in the face? Also you stated that you have an adjustable length of pull. It also has option to off set the pad as well I beleive. Do you have the toe kicked out or in?

9. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I think Martin above is hinting at it but it could be as simple as the pitch is wrong.

10. Laserwizard

Laserwizard Member

Another nod for the Trap Dude Gooey Pad.

11. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Martin does have a very good point.

12. TNCoach

TNCoach Member

I suggest going to someone that's been around the block a few times and have them check your gun fit and set your gracoil. If you're using a really thin butt-pad is this because you don't want to cut your stock to make the gun really fit?

Post your location on this post and there should be someone close that can steer you in the right direction.

TNCoach

13. 1100 classic trap shooter

I live in North Eastern Ky, the thin recoil pad was installed at the graco company to maintain LOP at factory length without cutting into the comb. Once I got it back I see I can go with a thicker pad. The recoil is mostly on the shoulder evenly, but a little on the cheek. Before the gracoil and modified trap pad was installed it slap my cheek hard. So that's why I had that pad installed to have it thicker at the top, more positive pitch. I had the pad straight, now I have kicked the toe out a little because it was pinching some.

14. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

I once owned a CG trap gun and I had a RAD II installed with the Kick eez modified trap pad and that thing kicked the hell out of my face. Changed pad to a more flat Kick eez and problem solved. I have used nothing but kick eez pads with great success. Never tried the gooey ones and probably never will but I would listen to Tron, the man knows what hes doing.

15. Jim R

Jim R Ljutic Nut TS Supporters

PM sent

16. 1100 classic trap shooter

I set my Gracoil to a lighter setting, it still does not compress when mounting maybe that will help. Gonna shoot it Wed. night if plans do not change.

17. dead on 4

Call Tron,
    Joe will get it sorted out.

Surfer

18. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

There are two perspectives here... recoil reduction devices to reduce "perceived" recoil and changing shells you actually put into the gun to lessen actual recoil...

Lighten the payload, slow down the velocity and/or use a slower burning powder, plus adding some weight to the shotgun... that, coupled with what you've already done and possibly with what you may still do can only help...

best of luck,

Jay

19. Rods Custom Stocks

Rods Custom Stocks Member

Gunfit comes into question? lighter loads help everything!

Try this first since you already invested in a Gracoil,
    Make sure your Gracoil isn't bottoming out! Almost every time I see this issue there is not enough tension on the recoil unit which causes face slap and more recoil to the shoulder. If it's not bottoming out put on a Trapdude Gooey pad with your Gracoil tension set almost as tight as it will go and that will help a lot. I do not agree with trying to set the tension by pulling it into your shoulder as the instructions provided with the unit says. The shells we shoot have a lot of pressure and it doesn't take much to bottom the Gracoil out.

Rod

20. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

It also could be something as simple as your not esily getting behind the center of the rib, downpitch in the stock, too thick a stock, etc. I remember a Browning GTI sporting clays gun that really beat my face due to too much drop in the comb and the stock was too thick. I didn't know what I was doing; nonetheless the gun had "eyes" and I should have kept it and fixed it. The stock was just to thick to fit correctly and I shot it canted a bit and was beat up in the cheek.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

gracoil fixed cheek slap

kick eez for gracoil