1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Recoil - Fast Burning v. Slow Burning Powder

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by TomJ, May 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TomJ

TomJ Member

My apologies if this has been covered before, but I have a question regarding actual versus perceived recoil when using fast v. slow burning powder. Would throwing wad composition (stiff v. stiffer wad) into the equation make a difference? I currently shoot 1 oz., 17.5 gr. Promo, DRXL1 wad, in a Rem Gun Club case, with a Noble Sport primer. It has been suggested that I would notice a significant reduction in recoil, if I changed to either Green Dot or Tite Group AND Remington TGT wads. Has anyone actually compared the difference? Thanks in advance for your comments. Tom

2. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

This has been a very hot topic with varying views!
    You and only YOU can percieve the FELT recoil! Others say it isn't so.Go load up 19.5 grs of green dot in the 1 ounce load and shoot a few.Then shoot your promo loads and see for yourself.
    Myself,I went with promo for the cost factor but I would rather shoot the green dot loads for the lesser FELT recoil!PJ

3. Paladin

Paladin Well-Known Member

For your reading pleasure. View the complete thread.

According to a few resident experts of firm opinion, no one can tell the difference between powder burning rates, all other variables remaining the same.

That is either a fact, or, their statements are one of the biggest deceptions that has ever been posted on this website. One thing is a given, the burn rates are different. That they can't deny.

What I am waiting for, is for someone to say or print that they are going to 'use faster burning powder because it shoots softer'. But I certainly won't be holding my breath.

Which ever way it is, one way or the other, the side that is wrong will be guilty of one of the biggest hoax's since smokeless powder.

Only you will be able to decide.

4. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I'm going to side with Newton on this one....

5. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

I do not know if Newton will give you the answer on this one. If I remember correctly, his formula deals only with mass and velocity. I think the difference between fast and slow burning powder, is in its acceleration to that velocity (faster burning translatinmg to faster acceleration). Differences in perceived recoil is probably due to this difference in acceleration; all other parameters being held constant. My two cents. Chichay

6. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

'Perceived' recoil is, well, .. a perception and is individual, but in EVERY blind test of which I'm aware, the shooter could tell no difference in same velocity loads of Red Dot and PB (or Red & Green), which are about as similar as chalk & cheese.

Bob

7. slipping into darkness

slipping into darkness TS Member

according to a ballistics expert, the only thing that change's is perceived felt recoil! Recoil is recoil the only way to reduce recoil is, use less shot!!! or a recoil reducer.

8. ctreay

ctreay Member

"For every action there is an equal but opposite reaction". Did you ever remember hearing that?

ctreay

9. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

TomJ, last summer I tested eleven people and the ability many of them thought they had to tell the difference between powders. The powders were far apart - Red Dot and PB. The speeds were the same. The task was trivial. Not even to tell which was more, which was which, or anything like that. Nothing more than "same" or "different" on two consecutive shots.

No one would demonstrate better-than-chance ability to do it. People can't tell the difference. Link above.

Neil

10. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

11. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Neil,

Didn't you prove that burning speed has no effect on recoil in your write-up link you placed on SGW?

Rollin

12. TomJ

TomJ Member

Thanks to everyone for your responses, question answered.
    Tom

13. davidjayuden

davidjayuden Well-Known Member

Anyone ever shoot the old Nitro Express double rifles? There is a notable difference in the old British-made Kynoch cartridges, loaded with Cordite, and reloads typically using 3031. Cordite gave the shooter the feeling of a push (OK, maybe a heck of a shove from the big bruisers) whereas the cartridges loaded with 3031 could give a sharper wallop. Velocity had to be kept nearly identical because the barrels were regulated for a certain point of convergance and that velocity and bullet weight were key to getting them to print together.
    My point is that when driving the lead out at the same speed, the materials used to make the bang can create a difference noticable to us on the kickee end.
    Now whether I could tell the difference between Promo and Green Dot is unlikely, but doing a double-blind study would be an interesting undertaking.
    dju

14. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

dju

Go up to the post by Neil Winston, and click on the Website Address he listed up there.

There's your double blind study.

15. phirel

phirel TS Member

To feel the difference, one must be able to distinguish the difference of 3 to 4 10/1000 of a second. That is the difference in burning rate to reach peak pressure.

When we reload the same load the amount of shot and powder varies a little in each hull. This variation will result in a greater difference in recoil than powder burning speed. I have never found anyone who could tell the difference among shells from the same box.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
difference between slow burning and fast burning powders
fast burning powder vs slow burning powder what has more recoil
info for slow burning gun powder
powder burn rate vs recoil
slow burning gunpowder vs fast burning
slow burning powder has more recoil than fast burn

slow burning powder velocity

the difference between fast burning gun powder and slow for shot gun reloads