1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Recoil doesn't seem to be the problem

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by GrandpasArms, Jul 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms Active Member

Recoil doesn

She started with the BPS (trap model), moved to 32 inch BT99, then the trap 1100. There have been no recoil complaints, especially with our 7/8 ounce loads (1200fps, 6500 psi). Fatigue sets in after just a few rounds. Yes, she exercises and lifts weights - and mounts the gun. I admire what great shape she's in for a 60 something lady.

I bring this up because she shot some skeet yesterday with my older 28" Citori and commented on how it felt "so much lighter". It weights 8 pounds 8 ounces. The other guns were all around 9 pounds. Those 7 to 8 ounces only represent about 5.5% difference between the 28" Citori and the other guns she's used.

I'm thinking her fatigue (and subsequent lower scores on later rounds) might be associated with the weight *and* length of the barrel. The longer barrels are "in" for most trap shooters. However, this is one lady who will probably do a lot better with something shorter - 28", or maybe even 26". Perhaps one of the Browning Feather O/Us would be worthwhile investigating. Any comments or thoughts?

2. dverna

dverna Active Member

I am considering getting my girlfriend a 20 ga O/U with 26" barrels. She cannot shoot her BT-99 Max for 100 rounds.

A 34" barrel is OK for a man, but most women need something lighter and easier to swing.

Nora Ross is one of the best woman shooters and not a big lady. If anyone has that info it might be helpful.

Don Verna

3. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

My girlfriend is now in her early fifties. I started her on a 28 ga. o/u at the skeet field, I moved her to the trap fields onto my sons cut down BT-99 with 30" barrels. Next we went to a TM-1 with 32" barrels. At this point fatigue started setting in around 75 targets. She considers herself in good shape, rides a mountain bike, walks, does yoga weekly and other exercises, she presently shoots a Beretta 682 combo with PFS. It was not until she started doing gun mounts with a weighted gun barrels did the fatigue subside. If she doesn't keep up on her weighted mounts and this goes for me as well, we both start fatiguing and our scores suffer.

Lifting a gun uses completely different muscle group than picking up dumbells. If your wife can't build enough strength to use her current gun, then by all means get her to something lighter and more manageable. I'm more prone to favor a cut down single barrel like a BT 99 or the BT 99 micro youth gun with light shells than moving her down to a twenty gauge. Twenty eight inch barrels may be just the ticket for her, gun fit more important than barrel length, do whatever it takes to keep her shooting, we need all the gals on the line we can get.

Surfer

4. GrandpasArms

Are BT99 barrels interchangeable? If so I would want to buy a replacement and have it cut down.

Larry

5. GrandpasArms

Are BT99 barrels interchangeable? If so I would want to buy a replacement and have it cut down.

Larry

6. GrandpasArms

Larry

7. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

As far as I know they are, the only difference may be rib height. All the old beaver tail forearmed guns are the same rib height. Most likely any barrel you buy will need to be fitted to your receiver.

The gun I built for may son when he was eight started out with a 34" barrel. I sent it to Briley and had them ream the forcing cones, cut the barrel to the closest rib post to 30" which ened up almost exactly 30", install screw in chokes. At my request they sent it to ProPort for porting. I cut the stock.

This gun shoots like a pop gun and just smokes targets. I would say at least ten yougsters and and couple gals learned to shoot on this gun, all of them, girlfriend included wanted to buy it. My oldest grandson is about three years away to start shooting and it will be on this gun.

I have a 32" barrel I bought for a project that never materialized, I will sell for $150.00, it's not cherry as it has a few blems, but it's serviceable. If you have an interest let me know.

Check with Art's guns about the fitting and rib height, he will know.

Surfer

8. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

She, and all of us, need cardiovascular exercise much more than lifting weights. Lifting weights does little to exercise the heart. You have to get that heart rate up over 100 bpm for an extended time and do some sweating to better your endurance.

9. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Larry, No BT-99 barrels or any browning barrel are not interchangeable. It will cost you way to much money to buy and fit barrels. Your better off to sell your 99 and buy another 99. Also as far as your loads go, try some Win. AA Lite powder. You can shoot this powder very slow, or fast in 7/8 and l oz. loads and still keep the pressures up so you get good dependable (clean) burns. Best of Luck getting her set up right. Break-em all Jeff

10. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

11. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

The Rem 1100 is on the heavy side for her, see if you can find a Beretta 303 auto, it is a lighter gun and not much fwd weight as the 1100. This gun is ideal for a lady shooter, and a 28" choke tube Bbl is lighter yet.

Will bet dollars to a donut she will be happy with it.

See if you can borrow one at a club so she can try one.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

12. hopper810

hopper810 Member

From what little I know sounds like weight distribution,with your Citori most of the weight was between her hands instead of weight forward. That's one reason I like Beretta's more than Brownings is for how fit and feel for me.

Just a thought to throw out there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.