1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Recoil device that fits in tube of 11-87 ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by gus, Dec 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gus

gus Member

Guys, I just got back to shooting after neck surgery in. I went from a BT 99 to a Remington 11-87 and like the new gun. Is there any recoil device that fits in the 11-87 that actually works or is it just a matter of the additional forward weight? PS: I know about 1 ounce & 7/8 load difference BUT I don't reload and buy Gun Clubs and I only find them in 1 1/8 ounce loads ! Thanks, Merry Christmas.

2. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

What I used to do to my 1100's was simply take a small piece of 2x4 and drill a 7/8" hole in lengthwise to use as a lead mold. Fill with lead, bust the 2x4 open and there's your weight. Take cloth tape and tape it up so it's a tight fit in the end of the magazine tube. I would also use a short piece of wooden dowel on the spring end of the weight. Works perfect!

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

I like to cast 8 oz lead cylinders that you can put in the front of the magazine tube and the hole in the butt stock. That way you can keep the balance of the gun the same or adjust it to what you like.

I take a piece of 2 by 4 and drill some holes in it with a spade drill. I use that as a mold for the lead weights. HMB

4. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I had a mercury reducer that had nylon ends on it that was made for the magazine tube. Yes it did lessen the recoil, but I don't know if it was any better than just adding weight. Ken Rucker makes a version of his "Bump Buster" for auto's that also might help you out.

A recoil pad change will help out some if your gun still has the original one.

I know you said that you only shoot Gun Clubs, but if you get a chance to buy a box or two of the 1180fps Federal/Estates 1 oz shells they work great. You could use these to help get back into the swing of things.

ss

5. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

The Tom Morton Company has one that works well.

6. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Have a softer recoil pad installed.

Add weight in the mag tube tube. This can be in the form of weights, or a mercury tube that fits. I'm not convinced that a mercury tube actually does anything more than its equivalent mass as a solid weight.

I looked over the Morton device. Don't care for it myself. Some who use it love it.

7. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

A prefit limbsaver pad on a synthetic stock with a mercury recoil reducer inside of the stock, 7/8 oz loads have done wonders for my 11-87 which also has a Target (backbored) barrel. My buddies are amazed at how soft it shoots and how hard it breaks the targets. FWIW. JM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

adding weight to remington 11-87

remington 11-87 mercury tube