1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

recoil device effect on poi?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by KIRKS AUTO, Nov 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KIRKS AUTO

KIRKS AUTO Member

If your gun goes up,down or side ways with the movement of any brand of moveing stock recoil system , will it have an effect on your point of impact. Or has the shot left the barrel before the movement of the stock? Kirk

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

The recoil device shouldn't change the direction of the gun. All the devices I'm familiar with simply dampen the recoil thru weight, springs or hydraulic dampeners. The gun should still recoil straight back with the normal barrel rise.

3. KIRKS AUTO

KIRKS AUTO Member

grntitan, I agree that it should move straight back. I am wondering if for instance if you had too much pitch cut into the stock to relieve cheek pain(or for any reason) could this have an effect on the poi? Does the shot exit the gun before the recoil has made any movement to the gun? Kirk

4. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

I think we need Neil for this one.

Neil, come in Neil, come in.

5. grntitan

I agree Stl Flyn. It's over my head. I thru a shout out to Neil.

6. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

I've wondered about this, kinda complicated to explain. I've noticed that some of the recoil units look to be in line with the bore which would make sense as far as recoiling straight back I guess. Others I've looked at the sliding part run off at an angle from the bore line. I don't know if that could cause a difference or not. I know one shotgun I tried for awhile had some kind of recoil unit and I didn't like it, my wrist got sore maybe something wrong with it. I just stick a fat pad on the butt and add weight as neccessary until it don't hurt to shoot.

7. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

POI is affected by your sight picture. If your sight picture doesn't change when you change your recoil pad setup, then your POI won't either.

8. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Any change you make to the gun will effect the POI. Some changes a little and some changes alot. Do a before and after at the patterning board for the answer. HMB

9. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

I just figured out a great way to test this. Give me a few days, OK?

Neil

10. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

No. The stock pad moves a few thousandths of an inch before the shot exits the barrel. According to the experts, not even enough to compress your shirt material first?

Hap

11. KIRKS AUTO

KIRKS AUTO Member

I can hardly wait for Neals responce. I think silverbulletexspress is on it with the straight line into the device(soft touch,lock stock ,prosoft,pfs to name a few out there) the barrel should not bounce around, but what if it does?

For example if you shoot your Lydic in a heavy rain or your Sietz with rem oil dripping off the locking lug , the gun jumps open on fireing and A-you shoot way under the target B-you still break the bird C-you can not believe you are shooting in this crap!

It has been my experiance A and C, never B (LOL) Kirk

12. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

I keep a record of the POI on all my guns. I have a Soft touch,(1) RadII, and (3)Gracoils on various guns. I had a RadII installed on a flat ribbed MX8 that I've owned for over 10 years. I shot this gun on doubles and sporting. With (6) 1/16th shims it shot 7" high and dead on vertically at 28 yards. It was dead on before the installation. I had the RadII installed at a Michigan shoot. The next doubles event was my worst score of the year.

The next day I put it on my grease board. It now shot consistantly 4" left at 28 yards. Height had not changed much.

This is the only gun affected by the reducer.

13. grntitan

That is very interesting Setterman. I use a RADII myself on my Beretta. I never noticed much change in POI from before and after but i didn't document it like you did. Wish i had.

14. pulllit

pulllit Member

TTT for a good topic.

15. slugbug1

slugbug1 Member

What about 1090 FPS vs. 1350 FPS? Will the speed that the lead exits the barrel make a difference? GaryL.

16. KIRKS AUTO

KIRKS AUTO Member

Neil, any results yet? Kirk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.