1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Recoil Decisions - for 'mi esposa'

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by GrandpasArms, Jun 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms Active Member

Recoil Decisions - for

My wife shoots a 32 inch BT99, fixed full. I've place 10 ounces of mercury in the stock and she uses 1 ounce loads - about 1145 fps. She had an adjustable recoil pad installed by Tron and all fits perfectly. Her scores are climbing - now at 18. - and she seems to want to continue shooting, but the pain the next day is a bother. In addition to steady improvement ion scores, she "looks" really good shooting. We do not reload.

I'm thinking of two approaches. ONE; use one of the gauge reducers (Gauge Mate or Briley) and let her shoot 20 gauge, 7/8 ounce shells in her BT99. TWO; switch to our 12 gauge 1100 using the same 1 ounce shells she uses now. Clearly, both will reduce recoil - and probably FELT recoil.

Option ONE means the purchase of Gauge Mates - which I can also use in my SxS if I get the sub-gauge skeet bug. Option TWO means some stock work (shortening and a new adjustable pad).

I vacillate on these options, so I've decided to toss it out the to universe (TS.com) for opinions. What say you?

2. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Buy a set of Gauge Mates in 28 GA. No recoil and really break targets. Downside is cost of shells but mommy rules anyway.

Forget the 1100 idea as most women hate 'em and facial recoil is often an issue!!

3. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

If you want a 3/4 or 7/8 oz load why not just load 3/4 or 7/8 oz 12 ga shells? Claybuster just came out with their 12 ga 3/4 oz wad complete with loading data, CBO175-12. It works very well and there are plenty of 7/8 oz wads out there.

4. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

Try some Winchester Featherlite ammo, and see if that helps. How many rounds is she shooting and where does it hurt? Maybe a recoil reduction system on the BT. If she gets serious about shooting, any subgauge options are not the best answer. Sometimes it just takes more shooting to build up the right muscles and resistance. Keep the round count down, then ice and Advil, maybe out to dinner. Reloading would offer many other options. Mark

5. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

I like 7/8 oz. 12 gauge loads, using #8's around 1175 - 1200 fps. Minor recoil, and great for the 16 yd to 20 yd distance.

6. Dicksie

Dicksie Member

I love shooting 28 when hunting birds, but I am a good shot and do it for sport, there are not many pellets in them and yes, if you don't reload, they are expensive!. Get her the the P.A.S.T. pad that attaches under the bra strap:
    http://www.battenfeldtechnologies.com/past/

Vern Winkleman, Trainor Hale Supply in Marion, Texas Phone (830) 914-2182 insisted that I try one years ago and I have told a lot of grateful women shooters about them.
    Dicksie Spolar

7. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

If a stock doesn't fit, it hits the shoulder/face in a bad way. Even if you've added weight. Nothing like a fitted stock and a tad heavier gun to reduce the felt effects of shotgunning!! About any other "fix" is like putting lipstick on a pig for end results!!

Hap

8. WJN

WJN TS Member

My wife loves her Beretta 3901 RL. We shoot 7/8 oz. loads with reduced powder (E3) and they cycle fine. She is a new shooter and didn't like the 20 gauge recoil but the gas system on the 3901 is soft - T&S shell catcher. 30" barrel and 12 gauge.

Jim

9. jhoward

jhoward Member

Your first post seems to indicate an adjustable recoil PAD, but no recoil device. Send it to Tron for a countercoil or gracoil, or Ken Rucker for a bump buster. You could also try a PFS, if you don't mind the looks. Any of those devices with 1145 one ounce loads should have very little felt recoil.

10. reddeath

reddeath TS Member

B&P produces a factory 7/8 oz. load. The brabd name is competition one. That would be the cheapest thing to start with. Cabelas has them for $8.00 a box. This load should be equal to the recoil of a 20ga. shell. But now you have the weight of the 12ga. gun to suck up some recoil. If you are comming to the pa Grand this weekend, I would give you a box of my 7/8oz. reloads to see if the 7/8oz. option will be the solution.

http://www.bandpusa.com/competition-one/

Best of luck!

11. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

The gun fits well... that's what you said... then...

Actual recoil reduction requires slower velocity, lighter ejecta and/or a heavier gun... that's the formula... those are the only variables

After you've fully exhausted those options, then it comes down to finding add-ons to further reduce felt recoil - different recoil pad, accessory shoulder pad, recoil reduction devices that continue to allow the gun to fit, but absorb some of the recoil...

While re-loading isn't for you... maybe a buddy can whip up a light load just for your wife using a slower burning powder to further reduce felt recoil...

Jay

12. Bridger

Bridger Member

Reyper is right about the PFS. If she wants to shoot the BT99, it is the only way to go. The PFS will deliver on getting the right fit and reducing recoil. Recoil reducers, added weight, even reduced loads might help to some degree but the PFS is by far the best answer and you will not lose a dime on it if you buy a used one which are for sale here all the time. I once swore I would quit shooting before I would resort to having one but I now have three.

13. missemucho

missemucho Member

Allow me to venture a dissenting opinion:
    The only way you'll ever get a BT 99 to shoot as softly as a 1100 is to spend big money. The PFS will cost as much/more than the gun. You might consider buying a youth model synthetic stock for well under a $100 and modifying it. With a little extra weight in the stock and the magazine tube you can adjust the handling of the gun for her. I have to disagree with "olliedawg"; I've coached a lot of girls and women at the club and the 1100 worked well for almost all of them.

John

14. oleolliedawg

Right on John. I also coached plenty of women at my club too and many of 'em had issues with 1100's. First of all, they're heavy, some didn't like the mechanical closing feature with their dainty little fingers and long nails, others seemed to have facial recoil issues (thin comb) and how many do you know without husbands who are willing to keep 'em clean.

Although the BT-99 seems a logical choice I do agree recoil on those guns can be problematic. Find an old BT-99 Plus and turn her loose-it's the best of all worlds!!

15. pakk

pakk Member

+1 on the PFS.

My wife shoots a similar gun, 34" choked. My wife is a little woman. 4'11 and 100lbs maybe if shes holding her gun. She went from the BT99 with no recoil reduction shooting 10s. Then I put a gracoil on it, and after some time, she's been shooting in the 17s. No joke, yesterday, I put a PFS on her gun. She shot a 21 and a 23(23 is her best score ever). I've never done a single thing to a gun to see such an improvement. After a few shots, she seemed to be centering the targets much more. The smile on her face is money well spent.

The PFS is a very good investment. Another thing to note is once you guy the stock, it is not necessarily tied to that gun. When you decide to upgrade, all you do is send $250 to the guys over at PFS, then you can transfer the stock to your next gun.

My wifes comments were that compared to the gracoil, the gun is noticeably softer. She has no thought of recoil and shes able to stare the bird down better. I'm a PFS believer.

16. oleolliedawg

After the BT-99 Plus you can also upgrade her to the very best- a K-80. Mild recoil with superb factory service. Worked for my wife and her Singles average last year was just under 98%. 34" Single x 32" O/U and she's been putting a wuppin' on me way too often!!

17. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

First, I'd get her one of these to place inside her shooting jacket/vest

-

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/917712/browning-reactar-g2-recoil-pad-shield-ambidextrous-insert

-

Next, I'd look at reduced loads - both in weight and speed.

The above mentioned WW Feather Lite loads use 26 grams (~ 7/8/ounce) at 950 ~1000 FPS.

In the UK shotguns are regulated for this same speed - no need for anything bigger or faster, especially for 16 yard trap.

I shoot 7/8 ounces over about 16.5 grains of Promo - it CRUSHES targets at 16 yards. Good friend uses the same load with 3/4 ounce with similar results.

18. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

As stated. She needs to see a gun fitter. No reason for pain with 1oz loads.

19. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Try putting a GRA_COIL on it after having the pitch set at zero RENNERIZE has a used Gracoil I just traded him, he needs the whole gun to set the pitch before installation of the Gracoil. 740-703-5047 740-663-5047 It will be a good price as it came off an XT, and she needs to be c hecked for LOP

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

20. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I think you will get reduced performance in shells w/tubes. + More shell expense using new shells.

RIO has a 1 ounce load @ 1200fps.

Gary

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.