1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Recoil calculator

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by tj303, Oct 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tj303

tj303 Member

I found this handy recoil caculator at http://www.rfgc.org/reload/recoil_calc.htm

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Please don't take this the wrong way, jt, but:

The "powder multiplier," 1.75, the program writer used is too high for shotguns. So it could lead us to some wrong conclusions.

Neil

3. tj303

tj303 Member

Damn! Can't I believe anything on the internet? It sure seemed easier than using Hodgdon's formula
    Recoil Energy in ft. lbs. = (Bw Mv + 4700 Pw)2 / (64.348 Gw) where:
    Gw= the weight of the gun in pounds
    Bw = weight of the ejecta (shot and wad) in pounds
    Pw = powder weight in pounds
    Mv = muzzle velocity in feet per second

Example: Our shooter has an 8 lb. target gun with a load using 19.0 grs. of Clays, a wad weighing 33.0 gr., shot charge of 1 1/8 oz. and giving 1200 fps muzzle velocity. First we must convert the ejecta weight to lbs. (1 1/8 oz. = 492.0 gr.) Dividing grains by 7000 converts to pounds.
    Gw = 8 lb.
    Bw = (492.0 + 33.0)/7000 = 0.075 lb.
    Pw = 18/7,000 = .003 lb.
    Mv = 1200 fps

Substituting the numbers in the formula we find the recoil of the shooter's load = 21.05 ft. lbs.

4. Bustedemall

Bustedemall TS Member

No recoil calculator is a real representation of recoil!! Why? Because none of these formula's account for such things as moving buttstock recoil reducers, soft touch, presicion fit, and all. According to the calculators a 7 pound gun with a precision fit recoil reducing stock would kick more than a 7 1/4 pound gun without a recoil reducer shooting the same load. Or compare a solid butt gun to one with a kickeze pad on it. Who would say the hard butt gun kicks the same as one with a one inch kickeze on it after shooting both with the same loads? If you take the definition of recoil, the amount of rearward movement of a firearm when fired, the kickeze gun would calculate to recoil more because it would move further due to the compression of the pad!!!

Oh I know the physics are engraved in stone and all that but in actual use there are other factors that are not accounted for that probably can't be figured in. What's more important, what the calculator says or what your shoulder tells you?

5. tj303

tj303 Member

Bustedemall, recoil calculations are very useful when comparing different loads in the same gun. You are correct they aren't useful in comparing different guns.

6. JDS

JDS TS Member

I see Neil you have come put of hibernation!

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

Bustedemall- You seem to be mixing total recoil with perceived recoil. Also, recoil is not the reward movement of a gun. Recoil is the energy that causes the gun to move back. My gun has the same total recoil with a wood stock and with a PFS. The PFS simply transfers some of the energy into the Belleville washers and then that energy is released a short time later. The small amount of energy dissipated as heat in the PFS is not significant.

Neil- Can you give me some pointers on how to suffer a fool?

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

formula for calculating shotgun recoil

recoil calculation
recoil calculator
recoil energy of 24 ft lbs
shotgun energy calculator

shotgun recoil calculator

shotgun recoil energy calculator
trap recoil calculator