1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Recoil & BT-100

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by bigclown, Sep 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

Looking at buying a BT-100 which has adjustable comb and forend weight. Were these models factory ported? (This one is.) Most single barrel trap guns I have looked at have recoil reduction systems - mercury reducers in stock; RAD or Gracoil; making me suspect recoil is an issue...(which it is not with my 32" XT). Is recoil a concern with BT-100s? Should I just stick with the XT which I like - and shoot fairly well? Please comment re: your experience. Regards, Ed

2. letts

letts TS Member

I have a BT-99, BT-100 And a citori, They all kick somewhat!

with a full choke kick is very noticeable. with an improved mod. I do not see kick as a big deal. I also feel that the shell you use makes a differance also. STS seems to kick much less than top guns in my opinion. The cost is a kick also.

Letts

3. Hivoltfl

Hivoltfl Member

I shoot a bone stock BT 100, mine has the ported barrel, I shoot 3Dram 1-1/8 oz loads at everything, recoil is not a problem on my shoulder but the way I have mine set up it beats my hand up some but is nothing a glove won't fix. I like mine, wished I could get the same gun in a combo.

Rick

4. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

Not sure why you say "most single barrel trap guns have recoil systems" ???
    I haven't seen too many "Kreikoff","Perazzi" ,"SKB", "Kolar", etc that do.Much has to do with gun fit.I have a BT 100 that isn't an issue. Perhaps a BT 99 Plus is what you want if recoil is that big an issue?

5. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

Thanks very much for all who responded. When all else fails, advice on TS.com really helps. My next step will be to try to arrange a "try before you buy" arrangement and shoot the gun a few times first (it is a locally used gun). Meanwhile, my XT seems to be heavier and no recoil problems. Thanks again. Best Regards, Ed

6. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

Dick, thanks for the information. Lately, I have been using 7/8s for 16s and 1 ounce for handicap, so these loads may work. I still need to see if I can "try before I buy" with the seller...will plan to try 7/8s up to a few 1 1/8s. Best Regards, Ed

7. Bridger

Bridger Member

Recoil can be hard to understand. I shoot a Kolar and one of the main reasons I bought it was the lack of recoil. Recently I thought I needed another gun and bought a Grade 3 BT 99. I expected to get pounded compared to the Kolar but it is very soft. A shooting friend has a Bump Buster recoil reducer on his XT unsingle and we switched guns for the last station this morning. He agreed that there is very little difference between our guns in recoil. The Bump Buster did a good job of reducing the recoil in his XT from what it was when he first got it but this BT is as soft shooting right out of the box. I will not be selling the Kolar anytime soon but this BT looks to be a keeper. The Grade 3 is a nice upgrade too.

8. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

A good friend is looking at buying a new BT-99 Grade III...they are certainly good looking and good shooting guns. Bumpbuster is clearly a sound option for addressing possible single barrel recoil. Thanks for the comment. Regards, Ed