1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Recoil and Mod 12

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hap MecTweaks, Mar 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

A lil adjustment on the pad and weight. Mod.12s love having weight added, they eat more birds then. :) Hap

2. sako2115

sako2115 TS Member

I find this to be an interesting post. I recently picked up a Model 12 "made up" trapgun with Briley elongated chokes. The gun is a numbers matching M-12, made in 1957. It has a Simmons rib and aftermarket wood with an adjustable comb. Oddly, the gun is a pussycat. It fits me well, and has a very acceptable level of recoil. I love owning this gun and shooting it now and then; it is now a piece of history, and given that it is made up, is a pure "shooter", a hot rod if you will.

My gunsmith checked the barrel. The forcing cone area is stock, i.e., no reaming has been done. Gun does not have extra weight. I have a hunch that the gun shoots softly due to long choke tubes that were installed by Briley, a piece of work done by Briley for the previous owner. I don't know if this is an objective or reasonable explanation, others may know better.

I do suggest that you make sure your pad is staight and that the gun "fits" you and does not tend to send its recoil into your face. I have found two M-31's (TC Trap, milled rib) that I own kick me due to the configuration of the stock; those two have rollover stocks.

So...I suggest you look first to gunfit. I should also mention that my M-12 "shooter" shoots softly with even the Briley long full choke.

Anyone else care to comment about longer chokes taming reoil somewhat. I also observed that reduction in recoil shooting my KX-5 with an elongated Krieghoff titanium superfull choke.

Anybody?

Oh, P.S. Would love to find a Timney trigger for my M-12. Anybody?

3. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

Personally, I found 1oz. loads to my liking. Paper Federals felt the best to me. However, getting hulls is a bit tough given the price of new shells.

There is usually someone on this site that has some for sale.

Good shooting. Regards Gerald

4. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

The best thing you can do for a Model 12 is to have a Soft Touch system installed on it, it is expensive but worth it as it really tames it down.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

Stock fit is the key to felt recoil. A gun may be shoot very comfortably by one person and severely kick another shooter.

Total recoil is simply due to the velocity of the shells shot and the weight of the gun. Total recoil may be consistent but felt recoil can vary among shooters.

Pat Ireland

6. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Cheek slap is usually due to pitch.

I have a bunch of Mod12s and they are all set up as zero pitch.

Although 1 3/8 oz of #4s in front of 38 gr of Blue Dot will get your attention...there is no cheek slap.

7. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Jerry,

Cheek slap is usually from the pitch ... Have someone who knows what they are doing check it and make it so as it eliminates the gun coming up and slapping you ... My wife shoots a Model 12 without any kind of reducer in it and does not have a problem because it fits her ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

8. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

TM1, post the pictures of the stock, and forearm if you have one? Hap

9. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Unless your shooting handicap yardage past the 25 yrd line I like the AA light loads they work well taking the bite out of my Mod 12 pre 64.

10. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

win1911, first what kind of pad is on the stock (ie curved or straight)?

Try putting 3 washers on the screw at the heel between pad and stock and see if that helps.

11. darr

darr Well-Known Member

Add some weight to the front end by loading 1 or 2 hulls full of shot and put them in the magazine in front of the spring.Just make sure they are crimped well and glued or taped shut.

Darr

12. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

win1911, I have no idea of your build or placement of pad on your shoulder but will say that with this kind of pad the toe maybe the problem and thus recoil pivoting off it which would throw the gun upwards into your cheek.

13. jrb100

jrb100 Member

I tried adding weight to my stock and forearm ,and it helped a little.The thing that that cured My cheek slap was to install adj. comb and pad.I have a monte-carlo stock,so I added a little cast off at the comb. nose and raised the recoil pad a 1/4 inch to help the recoil to go back straighter into the shoulder.I took the weight out of the gun and still have no cheek slap.If you spend a little time trying to fit the gun,you will love the model 12 for its pointing,balance and the target crushing barrel.(fixed full).

joe

14. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

If the gun hurts you - get rid of it. Or spend a lot of money trying this and trying that and end up getting rid of it anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.