1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reclaiming shot for personal use????

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by clays, Feb 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. clays

clays TS Member

Hello Everyone,

I would like to know if anyone here has a good method to reclaim shot for personal use? (I tried to do a search but only found info on professional reclaiming services)

With lead shot prices at the current levels and trying to support the shooting habits of myself and two boy's I am looking for ways to make the $$ go a little further.

I have access to a gun club that has been in operation for about 10 years and has never been reclaimed, it's a two holer with skeet and sporting clays as well and I have no idea how many trap targets have been thrown. ( I would guess maybe a couple of million or more on the trap fields ) After a rain I can see shot laying on top of the ground in several places.

Have any of you ever done this for your personal use?
    If so how did you do it?
    What was your success? (how much shot did you get and how long did it take)
    What would your recommendations be for doing this with just one person and hand tools or small tractor and loader?
    I have never attempted it, that's why I would like to hear from someone that has done it.

Any advice or suggestions from experienced persons would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Clays

2. clays

clays TS Member

24str8

Do you know what type and size of screen to use?

I have a front end loader as well as a grader blade and a box blade for my tractor.

I am looking for specific instructions from someone who has done it.

How do you identify where to start and where to stop reclaiming and what is the usual starting point or distance, how far in front of the house and how wide from center?

I am serious about this but I was hoping to gain knowledge from someone willing to share their experiences.

Again this is for personal use, I do not intend to make a business out of it.

Thanks again
    Clays

3. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

Having done it in the past, I'd offer that unless you are young, fit, strong and highly motivated, hand reclamation gets old REALLY fast. Lugging a 50 pound bucket of dirt/stones/shot even 100 yards across a trap field can become more trouble than it's worth. That's not to mention the health hazards that come with stirring up and breathing lead oxide while collecting.

Morgan

4. BuddyR

BuddyR TS Member

I bought a round screen waste basket at Walmart. Cut off the ends and split the side. It fits a rectangle box 12" X 28". Make the sides longer on one end for handles. Make slide rails on top, length ways for wire mesh box with larger holes. From Home Office. Go to trap range with two saw horses and flat shovel. 200 hundred yards from trap machine look a lot of shot on the ground.
    Put a shovel full dirt in wire mesh box,sitting on the rails of the box. You only need to go an inch or so deep with the shovel. Slide the wire mesh box back and forth a few times. The shot will fall through, pour the big stuff out. Slide the Rectangular box back and forth on the saw horses and the dirt will fall through. Put you're dirty shot in a contractors' wheel barrow and dst off with a leaf blower. Be carefull with the blower not to blow your shot away. Bud

5. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

How do you separate shot from sand?

6. BuddyR

BuddyR TS Member

Leaf Blower Bud

7. BuddyR

BuddyR TS Member

Actually the sand will fall through the second box leaving stuff the size of the shot. Bud

8. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I have been 'prospecting' our trap range to get an estimate of how much shot we could reclaim and define where the shot rich zone is. I got about 40 pounds of shot from my test areas in about 2 hours.

I used a #20 - 8" seive and scraped up the top 1/2" or so of soil with a square tip shovel and hand shaked that through the seive. The shot plus larger rocks stay in the seive and the fines go through. A second secreening could be done with something like a #6 seive to separate the rocks and sticks from the shot but I just hand picked this stuff out.

All of this is a lot of work for a bag and 1/2 of low quality shot. I don't know that reclaimed shot will damage a barrel but it certainly does not pattern well.

9. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Sounds like a lot of effort for the ROI of time. However with a couple of hand made machines, like the gold prospectors use, it might be worthwhile.

10. trappermike

trappermike Well-Known Member

How does shot, rock, etc, damage a gun if it is in the plastic shot cup or wad? I keep hearing that it will and I understand that there are different wads for steel shot but I don't believe or maybe understand is the right word, how this would happen.

Mike

11. berettaman7

berettaman7 TS Member

A friend mine shot from our club, he has a sorter where he classifies and collects shot based on its size, separates crap that might have been scooped up, I have bought and shot it for over 10 years without any damage to my barrels.

Berettaman7

12. clays

clays TS Member

berettaman7

could you get more specifics from your friend? This is the kind of info I am looking for.

I can build almost anything, so if you could get me the specifics of what he uses and the approx sizes.

I would appreciate it.

Thanks
    Clays

13. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Sifting for Shot, Feb 17 & 18, click on that thread, I gave a detailed explanation on reclaiming shot. It's easy and safe, with very little investment. If you have the right location you can get about 100lbs in an hour. HMB

14. clays

clays TS Member

thanks HMB

I'm going to go search for that thread now.

Clays

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.