1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

reclaimed VS new shot

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by mahrbeezer, May 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mahrbeezer

mahrbeezer TS Member

Well, I've been shooting reclaimed for a while now and its been stirring the pot with a few shooters at my club. So to settle the score we hung up some cardboard and fired 5 shells from each load. To my surprise and others, the reclaimed patterned exactly the same as new. So, to try and win the argument the guys stated that it will score the inside of my barrel. With a close inspection of my pipe, with a few different eyeballs, not one scratch in my barrel. The joke was, the inside of my barrel looked better than the outside. I also told them i could buy a new gun in two years with the money i was saving at $20 a bag. Please guys, keep shooting new lead, I need more reclaimed!!

2. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Do you ever notice the lack of info in such posts? Tell you what mahrbeezer go out to 42 yards and this time count the holes. 5 patterns of each and then come back and post the truth. Patterns at 30 yards mean nothing. The cheapest softest shot new or reclaim will work at 30 yards. Add another 15 yards to that( Handicap range) and you will quickly see a HUGE diffrence. How do I know you did it at 30 yards? Because I have done it at 30 yards.. Hundreds of times with many diffrent loads and I came up with the same conclusions that you have. The problem is that what you see at 30 yards doesn't continue to play out on an equal basis as the yardage increases. The deformed and soft shot start to spread much faster then a bag of NEW High Antimony shot. If you want to shoot skeet, sporting clays, first shot of doubles and singles you may be just fine but at Handicap range you will be doing just that. Handicapping yourself. Jeff

3. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

I shoot reclaimed for both practice and registered 16 yds. I can't see a difference either. I also practice with it from the 23 and notice very little difference again, but on registered shoots I do go with factory shells although I doubt there's much difference between my Top Gun loads and my reclaimed reloads.

4. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Again... Go out to 42 yards and pattern them. You will see the diffrence. Jeff

5. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

Jeff, I'm sure there is, but I don't shoot that far so it does not make a difference to me, nor anyone else from short yardage.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.