1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reclaimed Shot

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Sigraph, Feb 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sigraph

Sigraph TS Member

This is a piggy-back from mfgi26's post. I've been reloading for over 20 years, both centerfire and shotshell. I've read a lot about reclaimed shot, but have no idea how the stuff is reclaimed. In a reply on mfgi's post, someone commented on reclaimed shot coming from a lake. I'd like to think the shot was caught in some type of tight mesh in the approx. landing area of a trap or skeet range. If taken from the ground, how is the shot separated from dirt/sand, etc?

2. mgfi26

mgfi26 TS Member

Sigraph,

From what I've seen (and I think there are several different types of machines) the lead / dirt / sand etc. that is delivered to the reclaiming machine is seperated using centrifugal force. Like I said I've only seen one machine being used and I'm sure there are many different types out there.

Matt

3. rick979

rick979 Active Member

Shot is not trapped in a mesh. The reclaimers use a skidsteer to scrape the top layers of dirt in the shot fall area and load it in a machine that seperates the shot from dirt and debris. Then it is rolled and graphited and bagged for re-sale. I just bought 50 bags that are 26 pounds at $17.50. I can see no reason to use new shot for 16 yards or doubles with the price at $35.00 plus for a 25 pound bag. The last new shot I bought was about a year ago at $26.00/25 pound bag. Rick ~~~~Texas

4. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

The primary cleaning is screening to get rid of the + and - fractions followed by air classification to remove the near size low density material. Final cleaning can include washing but most operations keep the shot dry throughout the process.

5. Almcvey

Almcvey Member

I have loaded lots of it with a mec loader just finished 1,250 rounds. My mec 1 1/8 bar drops just over 1oz by weight. How much oxidation and how clean it is makes a big difference on the weight dropped. I wash all of mine 25# in a 5 gal. bucket with hot water and detergent stir it around a couple of min. and
    put it on something to dry. You will be suprised how much dirt is left in the bucket. Remington 1 1/8 oz wads 17.8 grain red dot. Shells look like new. Shoot well from 16 -20 yds.

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

In Europe they catch their shot in large nets hung from poles in the drop zone. They recover about 96 percent of the shot and reuse it. I think they are alot smarter than we are. HMB

7. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

I use a lot of reclaimed and never had a problem but today I just weighed my 1 oz load and found I was 22 pellets on the short side . I will rethink the next time I go for the bargain . With new lead I am within 2-4 pellets . I was wondering why I don`t see too much smoke lately . Mind you this was only 1 shell so maybe others have a different outcome .

8. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

well you still have about 320 pellets to smoke the targets with..

9. rick979

rick979 Active Member

My one ounce bar drops about .95 ounce of reclaimed. Works great. If you point the gun right you get a puff ball at the target.

10. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

Try this, take a few reclaimed pellets and try and roll them on a flat surface. Most do not roll well which equates to how they will fly. I loaded some reclaimed one time, I chipped my way through 25, went to reloads with new shot and got the ink balls I normally got on 16's. End of experiment

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.