1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

reclaimed shot

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Kevin Nelson, Sep 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kevin Nelson

Kevin Nelson Member

What is the best way to clean, dry, and re-graphite reclaimed shot?

2. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I don't know if this is the best but here is what I do;

dump about 25 pounds of RC in a contractor wheel barrow, Sqirt in a few gallons of water and agitate it back & forth about a dozen times, decant the water off. Add a couple more gallons water and a 1/2 pint of vinegar, agitate, let sit for 1/2 hour & decant. (this part is optional but it will clear your sinus) Do a final rinse with fresh water and decant.

My wheel barrow self drains around the carriage bolts but if yours is water tight then drill a few small drain holes in the low spots for drainage. Spread the shot out evenly over the bottom of the borrow tub and set it in the sun to dry. (about one day)

When dry split the batch in half and put it in a vibratory case cleaner for about an hour with about a teaspoon of graphite. When you turn off the vib cleaner and open the lid you will find most of the near sized rock/glass particles at the center of the cleaner on top of the shot. You can pull this trash off pretty easily with a shop vac without taking much shot. Repeat with rest of batch.

Now load the stuff and use if for singles practice.

3. plinker61

plinker61 TS Member

i like to re melt it into ingots, and run it through my jim stewart black max shot maker,all shot will be the same size,perfectly clean,look like black chrome,and as close to new(sometimes better)as you can get,mark

4. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

the last barrel of reclaimed I bought,I was having trouble getting it to take graphite, because of the dirt.....this time I just blow it off with compressed air and a small kitchen strainer (screen), put it in the cement mixer, spray it down with lemon polish till it's kind of sticky, put the graphite in and tumble about 10 min.

the reason I did this is because it was hanging up in my spolar loader.

with the furniture polish to make the graphite stick, it goes through my loader like shit through a goose.

I live on a farm and I don't want to wash it with water because I have a well, and I drink out of it...........so no waste water here.

tony

5. Lugerville

Lugerville TS Member

I put it in my casing tumbler about 15 Lbs. at a time with a dust of graphite and let her run about 90 minutes, works great.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.