1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reclaimed shot

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by csjr, Jun 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. csjr

csjr TS Member

What are your thoughts on reclaimed shot? I have been told not to use it on handicaps, then had the next guy tell me that it does not matter.

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Depends on the quality of the shot. HMB

3. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

And how far back. Most I have seen I would use only for 16's and first shot in doubles. I have shot it at 25 but have no confidence with it.

4. Mike Hessong* (MH*)

Mike Hessong* (MH*) Active Member

csjr,

Our club, Victoria (Texas) Skeet and Trap Club just bought 300 bags of reclaimed shot from ALR. Supposedly came from trap fields in Midland and San Angelo. Nice looking stuff; cleaned and re-graphited with no foreign material in it. Just the normal "flats" and facets along some pieces as it leaves the barrel. I reloaded a bunch and had a good round from the 25 yard line with it, but that was only one round. I had planned on only using it for 16 yard singles, first bird on doubles and shooting skeet with it.

I took some boxes up to shoot a registered trapshoot at Fayette County Gun Club in La Grange, Texas and was planning on using this re-claimed shot for all targets during all 3 events. After the first 2 rounds of handicap (I'm on the 25 yard line) resulted in a 17 and a 18, and I couldn't figure out why I was missing. I changed back to my hand-loads that I created to duplicate Winchester Super Handicap loads with 7 1/2 size shot and shot a 21 and 22 with far better breaks. More sootballs on impact, and much harder hit targets. I really feel I may have been getting a lot of flyers and not much density to my patterns with the re-claimed shot at long distances.

This shot worked well on my singles where I shot a 96 and 2 of those targets were missed but I have never seen such a large amount of dust without a chip coming off. Still a lost target. I loaded 30 or so boxes this weekend for singles practice and wouldn't hesitate to shoot it there, but I will limit my distance to close range with our reclaimed shot.

Mike Hessong* (MH*)

President- Victoria Skeet and Trap Club

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

I am sure each batch of reclaimed shot is different. The times I have patterned the stuff, I was not impressed.

Pat Ireland

6. Lead Man

Lead Man TS Member

16 to the 27 is a whopping 33 ft at 850 miles per hour (1250 ft/sec). To hear you guys talk it would have to be at least 3 to 4 miles. Tis a mind thing. If you shoot good you shoot good. Give Leo some and see what he does with the same shells you guys would put in your gun.

Center the the shot in the center of the bird and it's hard not to break birds, but achieving center to center may be the problem.

7. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

lead man.........you make it sound so easy!!

tony

8. cottondoctor

cottondoctor Member

I suspect Lead Man is about right – most of trap shooting is a head game. If you believe reclaimed shot is not as good it probably isn’t, etc. I shoot a lot of reclaimed at 16 yard targets, first shot at doubles, practice from the 25 and second shot at doubles – and sometimes I will shoot the course all the way through with reclaimed……..I really can’t tell much difference when averaged over several rounds. (my reclaimed shot, in my loads, in my barrel/choke combination – I can’t speak for anyone else) If anything my 1 ounce reclaimed shot load for 16 yards (appx 1180 pfs) will produce more impressive breaks (more smoke) than my 1 ounce or even my light 1 1/8 ounce loads of 8’s. I suspect that un-round-rough-edge shot just grinds them up better than smooth edge round shot :) - but who cares – reclaimed shot will break the smack out of targets. If you trust it – shoot it. If you don’t trust it – don’t shoot it.

9. plinker61

plinker61 TS Member

i like to re melt reclaimed shot into ingots & run through my stewart black max,trade guys around here on a 60/40 split,and it dont have flats,or mix sizes,what happens when the ata registerd shooter uses it and there are sizes larger than #7 in his shells? is that considerd a foul? mark jones

10. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

No harm no foul. HMB

11. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

Leadman,

I don't understand a darn thing you're saying. Should we ALL be shooting reclaim, according to you? What speed is it doing at 40 yards? How many pellets made it, in the pattern?

Thank you,
    Longshooter

12. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

I too re-cast, re-claimed shot. I do it for several reasons. Most of the re-claimed shot sold in my area is not cleaned very well, so the fine sand that is mixed with it could be very rough on a shotgun barrel, kinda like scrubbing or sand-blasting your barrel with each shot. The other reason is to have uniform and round shot. A lot of the re-claimed is a mix of anything from 9's to 4's. I think a lot of clubs hold fun shoots that allow them to use larger shot than 7-1/2 for Annie Oakley's and Buddy Shoots, where they are shooting 70-80 yards. I have also found plated shot, so that would be another problem at an ATA shoot.

13. Strait Shooter

Strait Shooter Member

Have used several bags of reclaimed shot [ALR] and it seemed to work ok from 16 yards but not well from 26. Just out of curiosity,I would be interested to know if any of you have weighed the full bags from ALR ? I found that the ones I had weighed 23#to 24#.could possibly be my scale?

14. Lead Man

Lead Man TS Member

Longshooter,

Plain and simple either you can shoot or you can't Shot size and the other crap doesn't matter.

15. BL350

BL350 TS Member

Dear Fellow Reclaim Shooters,
    Just recently switched to NYS(Bridgeport,NY) reclaimed shot. I took 50 random samples and measured them with a good carbide micrometer. Roughly 50/50 7 1/2's and 8's as stated. Observed many flat spots and dents. But shooting the stuff did result in good scores for 16's and first shot of doubles. Haven't developed enough courage to try from the 26 yard line YET! Recently ran a hundred & fifty singles with this stuff and so did my shooting partner Bernie K, but their was ice cream involved which dramatically improves your performance!
    But some issues have been observed and recorded. My 1 oz. PW bushing only drops 7/8 ounce of reclaim. My 1 1/8 oz. PW bushing is dropping 1 ounce of reclaim. I believe the reclaim does not flow as well as high quality MAG. target shot. We recently noticed "contrails" this past weekend in high humidity. This may be the Promo powder or dust coming out with the shot charge. I will conduct a powder change test next week. This reclaim (educated shot) dramatically lowers the cost of shooting!!!
    Respectfully submitted,
    Jet Boat Bill

16. K80Dude

K80Dude Member

Well I bought some reclaimed shot a couple of years ago from Maywood in IL and it was awesome shot,they shoot over water. I then bought some from an IN club sight unseen and none of it is usable and a huge waste of money. I know have to melt it all down and have it re-made into new shot. At the end of the day it would have been cheaper to just buy new shot.

So it is true that not all reclaimed shot is equal. I do like the price savings but when doing the math with a fellow shooter today it figures out to a .02 cent saving per shell. I am not loaded but it really is not worth it unless the shot is really nice. Since the Maywood shot I have not seen any yet that is nice enough to buy. Wish I could!

Dave

17. Lead Man

Lead Man TS Member

Lead was up to .77 cents yesterday. I wouldn't think it is going to get cheaper. These reclaimers with washers are not going to be interested in bagging after it goes over $1.

18. ron (vt)

ron (vt) Member

BL350
    You have a PM. Thaks

19. scorpman

scorpman Member

Rick said "the fine sand that is mixed with it could be very rough on a shotgun barrel, kinda like scrubbing or sand-blasting your barrel with each shot." I thought that the wad would protect the barrel from shot touching it. Can anyone support this? I recently did an experiment to get some shot out of the field I shoot at. I collected about 20# and just sifted it through some stainers with appropriate sized holes and washed it. I tumbled it in small batches in my old rock tumbler with some graphite. There are still some tiny pellet sized rocks mixed in. Would they cause much harm? I would not use this shot in a progressive loader for fear of inconsistent drops or tube jams. I was thinking, although time consuming, I could measure out about half the weight of shot of reclaimed, and using a single stage loader, add the reclaimed stuff by hand first so it would be on the bottom and more protected by the wad, then have the loader drop the rest of the load of factory made clean shot on top. Worth it, who knows? A waste of time, maybe? Being super cheap this will stretch my shot supply and instead of shooting 7/8oz loads, I can do 1 1/8 and get those extra pellets out there at the same price. I don't shoot competions, just for fun locally so I'm not worried about any ATA rule violations or the such.

20. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

I have patterned "re-claimed" shot at various yardages and found that it's great for Skeet and Singles, but really is erratic at anything over 22 yds or so. This was washed, sifted, and graphited re-claimed shot. Some of the patterns at 25~27 yds were "holy" enough to claim the Vatican as residency! Easy to see why we can miss a few shots using it.

AndyH ;-)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.