1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reclaimed Shot

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Darryl101, Oct 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darryl101

Darryl101 TS Member

I recently got my hands on a mess of reclaimed shot. I made a screen/sifter to get the fine dust out of it. The shot is really clean except for the fine dust. Recently I read on here about how much powdered graphite to add to the shot. My experience has led me to add about 5 tablespoons instead of the 1/2 tablespoon recommended. My question is.........can I put too much graphite in the shot?? I am pretty danged excited about mowing em down with the stuff this next summer!

Thanks,

Darryl Howard

2. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I just haven't had good results with any reclaimed shot regardless of the cleaning. The extra graphite won't hurt anything and will probably help the reclaim material go through your loader but one tablespoon per bag should coat things well enough. You might want to weigh a few shot charges to get an idea of how much oxidation has taken place. ( 1 1/8 Oz bushing will probably drop about an ounce if the shot is really oxidized) Good luck.

3. quicksand

quicksand Guest

Darryl:

I just finished processing 150lbs of reclaimed shot. My advice is to use least amount of graphite possible. Anything more than just a coating will leave you with black dust everywhere. It really makes a mess on your reloader.

I was so anal that I washed the shot with soapy water, rinsed, dried and then tumbled/vibrated all 150lbs. During the tumbling/vibrating I added the graphite. I had put so much graphite in initially, that the last 50lbs where done without adding any graphite and the shot still came out coated!!!

Rural King sells some small tubes of graphite that should do you just fine.

One other thing, as stated previously check your loads. Mine was a mix of shot with most of it being larger and I did not get the shot loads that I expected. My 1 ounce bushing was dropping about 0.8 ounces...ouch.

Dave

4. Darryl101

Darryl101 TS Member

Thanks for the info! I bought the powdered graphite in a 1 lb.jug. I have yet to come up with a plan for getting an even coat of the stuff on the shot. I may not worry about it too much and hope time and handling will cure most of the problem.

If it measures up a little on the light side it is OK. My plan is for the kids to shoot the bulk of it and for my singles. I used to be pretty leary about such things but after shooting homemade shot I got over that. One batch of the stuff looked like eggs and varied in size more than just a little. It shot like a dream!

Darryl

5. TC

TC TS Member

I have attempted to wash reclaimed shot but it became oxidized as soon as it dried. Is this normal? Can it be prevented or at least reduced? Tony

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Put the shot in an empty plastic powder jug and add graphite and shake well. Don't put too much shot in at a time. HMB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.