1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

reclaimed shot

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by 24 straight, Mar 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 24 straight

24 straight TS Member

Does anyone know the approximate weight of a gallon of shot? I'm buying a 55 gallon drum of reclaimed shot and was just wondering what the weight would be.
    Thanks, 24 straight

2. Bawana

Bawana TS Member

Try the site above. Also let us know what the weight is.

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

A 55 gallon drum holds 3300 lbs of shot, a 5 gallon pail is 300 lbs.

HM

4. catpaver

catpaver TS Member

The club that I shoot at had some of their lead reclaimed last year and the barrels were weighed. I dont think that any of the barrels had more than 3000 lbs in them, most were around 2800 lbs and were full to the top. The shot that was in the barrels was very clean.

5. guncase

guncase TS Member

I would like to sell to you at 300# to the 5gal pail,, I made a lot of shot in years past, weighed 265# to the pail. I know I can't carry a full pail! Paul

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

We had our lake dredged, and took out a whole lot of shot. It's the third time since 1992.

A 55 gallon drum, filled weighs 3300 lbs. The drum may weigh 20 lbs. if that.

I can divide 3300 by 11. (55/5) Comes to 300.

HM

We were on a certified truck scale with this.

HM

7. k3uro

k3uro Member

Hey,

Skeet vs Trap

There is big differeance in volume between 7 1/2 and 9 shot. Doesn't it make sense that there will be more air in the bucket of 7 1/2 shot. Therefore it would weight less than the more dense bucker of 9 shot?

Sometimes my thinking gets in the way of logic but it sounds right?

Take care,

Jim

8. skeezix

skeezix Member

Jim, IIRC a relatively large container will hold an identical volume of uniform sized spheres. In other words a 55 gal drum of #2 will weigh exactly what a 55 gal drum of #9 weighs. obviously if the size of the spheres varies much all bets are off- and if the spheres are large relative to the space- like buckshot vs 9's in a .410 shell all bets are off.

john

9. skeezix

skeezix Member

Found this site about packing density

http://www.tiem.utk.edu/~gross/bioed/webmodules/spherepacking.htm

basically says the packing density of uniform spheres is 0.7405.

So in theory a 55 gallon container has 55 gal * 0.133680556 cf/gal * 709.7 lbs/cf * .7405 = 3,854 lbs of uniform spheres of pure lead. This will be less than that if the lead has antimony in it- I can't remember the density of 3% or 5% antimony lead.

john

10. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Take an empty 1 gallon plastic milk container and see how many 25 lb bags of shot you can pour in. That should answer the question. I think it will be about 4. 4 x 25lbs = 100 lbs. HMB

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

john - Your packing density calculations are good but it overestimates the weight of the pure lead. Packing density calculations are only valid if there are no edges to the container and that is of course impossible.

Pat Ireland

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

Also, others might be surprised that the size of the spheres is immaterial to packing density if the edge effect is ignored. A few big spaces between the spheres is equal to a lot of little spaces. A packing density of 0.74 means that 26% of the area is empty space irregardless of the size of the spheres.

Pat Ireland

13. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Pat,

Go to the refrigerator and get a milk carton. Fill it with shot and weigh it. See if I'm right. HMB

14. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Pat,

Irregardless is a double negative and it's use is unacceptable, except when the intent is clearly humorous. HMB

15. phirel

phirel TS Member

Please disregard my careless use of the obvious double negative "irregardless",but MrkSLC, it is in my dictionary as a substandard word.

hmb- I went to my refrigerator but could not find a carton of milk. I think we used to have some a long time ago. Do people actually drink that stuff?

I do remember that 25 pounds of shot will fill a 2 L jug, but because of the edge effect, a 2 L area in the middle of a 55 gal drum will hold more shot than a 2 liter jug. If you fill a 10 cubic inch container completely full of shot, that volume of shot will not fit into 10 one cubic inch containers.

Pat Ireland

16. phirel

phirel TS Member

hairy - Please read the above posts about packing theory. The amount of water that could be poured into the two barrels would be identical, or a long accepted mathematical model and my solid geometry teacher are both incorrect.

Pat Ireland

17. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

They are both incorrect. There will be more water in the container with the larger shot size. HMB

18. Wilma Harris

Wilma Harris TS Member

Compare barrels of marbles and #9 shot. Then think of bowling balls and #9 shot. Should be more water in the barrel of bowling balls. My vote for the heaviest barrel would be the #9 shot one over the #7.5

19. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Southbend,

You are using common sense, and Pat does not like that. HMB

20. phirel

phirel TS Member

My reply is not based on common sense, it is based on basic math. A 55 gallon drum filled with bowling balls, excluding the finger holes will have a few big empty spaces, the same drum filled with shot will have a lot of little spaces. The total volume of the empty spaces filled with either is the same (26% empty space). This of course does exclude the edge affect. A quick study of the mathematical packing theory will support my position.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.