1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reclaimed shot

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by deadpair, Jul 9, 2013.

1. deadpair

deadpair Member

Anybody using reclaimed shot? there is a dealer in my area that has some for sale and the price is about 10 dollars a bag cheaper than new.what are you thoughts?

2. LTB45

LTB45 Member

Cheap practice lead!!
    Not for competition, at least not in my house.

3. Keith Holdwick

Keith Holdwick TS Member

Where are you located?

4. missemucho

missemucho Member

In my experience, it's ok for singles but not for handicap, at least anything beyond 20 yards. Be prepared to slow it down (again, in my experience not over around 1180 fps) and tighten the chokes. I know others have had better experiences than mine, but I've tried several different sources and these have been constants if you want to be successful in trap.

Works fine for skeet!

Just MHO.

John

5. perezal

perezal Member

Reclaimed is good for Practice Loads. I picked up three 20 LBS bags for $28/each. I would not go higher than 1250fps. Get it and look thru all the bags sometimes you get little rocks mixed in there.

6. acorange

acorange Well-Known Member

Missemucho hit it on the head.

I find the breaks with 1oz. loads to be kind of sketchy but a 1100 to 1150 fps load of 1 1/8 oz. seems to work well. Do not use past 20 yards.
    The find them every where Top Gun hull with a 12S3 wad [clone] and any cheap Eurotrash primer with [17gr./1100 fps or 18gr./1145 fps]of Promo or Red Dot makes for some cheap shooting that does not beat you up with recoil.

my 2 cents....

7. himark

himark Well-Known Member

I wouldn't put polished graphited quartz rocks out of my barrel.

8. travisalfrey

travisalfrey Member

i love it for practice. I bought 2 tons from LeadMiner and it looks great. I am sure that I could use it in competition but I just don't.

Travis Alfrey
    Pinehurst, NC

9. 1100 REMINGTON MAN

1100 REMINGTON MAN Active Member

I don't use it myself. I have a 1970s 1100 I consider to valuable to use it in & I paid around $230 for it. I want the best shot I can buy new. We all have our priorities & cheap shot is for me.
    Good Shooting

10. 548

548 Guest

A lot of people like it. A lot of people don't.

I tried four bags last year and I will never use it again. Substandard load and it just didn't "feel" good going through my loader. I bought good stuff from the most reputable reclaimed dealer I know, and it was still just too messy and hard on the loader. To me, I'd rather spend an extra quarter per box and treat my gun and my mind to the good stuff.

11. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

I use it and have noticed no difference in breaks, when I do my part, from new 8 1/2 lead, 1 oz. loads, 1200 FPS., .024 choke., 16 yds. I am saving $14/bag over new. I have total confidence in the lead. Myself however, the confidence is lacking in my shooting ability. LOL

12. djldb6

djldb6 Member

I use Terry the Leadminer's stuff and like it a lot. I reload all gauges in it, and although it is probably in my head I swear the 410 reclaimed loads hit harder at skeet than the new Lawrence stuff. Maybe the random #6 pellet in there is helping me out :) I don't shoot trap anymore and can't speak to how good it is but I load 3/4 and 1 ounce 12ga loads for sporting clays and they seem to work well too....but I am not that great a shot :)

Dan

13. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

I've been using reclaim for going on five or so years. If I miss I know what I did. I process it myself, with that being said, I wouldn't put it down my MX2000 if it wasn't cleaned, graphited and polished. I've sold it by the tons to a few All-Americans and they continue to come back for more. I'm not a back fence shooter so I won't comment on that aspect but I do know people that are maintaining 96 & 97 ave. and better with the stuff i process. BUT........we are trapshooters, we need an excuse...lol

14. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

I use it for practice and 16 yd. Works well for that, but, I don't use it for caps. As mentioned before, don't push it too fast, and use a tighter choke!

15. warren

warren Member

I use it whenever I can get it can't tell the difference I've won several trophies with it singles, doubles and handicap. The only way for you to tell is try it yourself and see.

warren

16. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Melt it down and make new shot. That is, if you have a shot maker.

17. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

$15,000 shotgun with a need to shoot graphited rocks through the barrel to save a few $$$. I must be missing something. Pure junk that needs to be melted down and re-dropped. Oxidation prevents accurate drops and gums up reloaders. Any reclaimer who proclaims reclaimed shot is preferred by All-Americans should get their personal lead levels checked. The rest must look at their low averages and tell us it's actually because they can't shoot-not because of crappy shot!!

18. himark

himark Well-Known Member

I dont know about you that use it but I know when I do sell my shotguns the ad reads..........."NEVER had any reclaimed shot through it"

19. Shawn

Shawn Member

Klink
    Lead miner is still around. He is at the Montana State shoot this week.

Shawn

20. Lead Miner

Lead Miner Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Well I think it might be about time for the Lead miner to set the anti reclaimed lead shot guys straight. But right now I got more important things to spend my time doing. Like living the good life in Billings Montana at the Montana State Shoot. Terry aka Lead Miner