1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reclaimed Shot

Discussion in 'Shoot Information, EVENTS, Clinics & Results' started by TomJ, Nov 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TomJ

TomJ Member

What exactly is "reclaimed shot"? Obviously it's been previously shot, but is it composed of mixed shot sizes 8s, 9s,? Is it clean? What are the disadvantages of using it? Thanks,
    Tom

2. t7731

t7731 Member

It is made up of whatever was shot on the trap field that it is reclaimed from. That being said, it is mostly 7 1/2 and 8's if it is mined from a trap facility. Cleanliness depends on who processes it. It normally doesn't look shiny like new shot, but it doesn't really need to be shiny. As long as it isn't dirty or filled with rocks, and has been treated with graphite, then all is good.

You will get a ton of guys listing out even more disadvantages of using reclaimed shot. They will tell you it doesn't pattern good because it is mixed sizes and shapes. They will tell you that it doesn't drop well through their loaders, etc. etc etc. I can only say this. I use reclaimed shot almost exclusively. I pay $22.50 per 25 lbs, but when I get it home and weigh it, it is actually 28 lbs. That being said, I load about 16 boxes of shells for $22.50 plus the other components. Comes out to be about $3.25 per box of shells.

I am just an average shooter, but I can tell you that I shoot no better or no worse with reclaimed than I do even with factory shells that are almost twice as expensive. Especially from the 16 yard line.

You have to give it a try for yourself and see what you think. Don't listen to all of the commentary from the naysayers who have never used it and why it is such a bad idea. It is like someone who has never tried chocolate ice cream telling you why it isn't as good as strawberry.

3. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Ditto what t7731 said, he got a better price than I did but I get the same good results, pour it into a shallow container & run a good strong magnet through it. I know they run it through a magnetic separator but I still find some steel shot in it, probably not enough to hurt but I just don't want any scratches in my bbl. Ross Puls

4. t7731

t7731 Member

Check out the Lead Miner coming through Missouri this coming week.

5. TjayE

TjayE Member

t7731

I don't care what anyone says, "I like chocolate ice cream better than strawberry ice cream". Tom

6. t7731

t7731 Member

Tom,

As long as you have tried both chocolate and strawberry, then your opinion is qualified. It is those that refuse to try chocolate that need to keep their opinions to themselves.

Mike

7. warren

warren Member

Ditto above although I do add a small amout of graphite when I pour it into the loader bottle I have gotten some bridging and that stops it. I shoot it for everything including handicap and doubles can't tell the difference except the price.

warren

8. OldRemFan

OldRemFan Member

If you like shot that is both clean and shiny then take a look at what the lead miner is offering. The shot I have bought from him in the past is both of those things. Maybe he will dig up a picture and post here.

Now as for the ice cream, a good batch of home made vanilla ice cream with shredded coconut, choped maraschino cherries, and chopped pecans will beat either chocolate or strawberry.

9. Lead Miner

Lead Miner Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I like any kind of ice cream and my waistline proves it. Terry. Aka leadminer

10. C-Money

C-Money Member

I am reloading all reclaimed. Been using it for a year now. I paid $24 a bag. I cant tell a difference in my scores from the 16 or in handi. I was breaking them just fine from the 27 at a meat shoot a few weeks ago. Works well, and is cheap compared to new shot.

11. ropin23

ropin23 TS Member

we just bought 5000 pounds the guys tried it and now we are ordering more. We saved 9.00 a bag. Some guys are shooting it out of all gauges.

12. missemucho

missemucho Member

My personal experience with several batches of reclaimed leads me to believe that it all depends on where it comes from and who processes it. A good reclaimer that gets his shot from a place that regularly reclaims and then spends time and effort in the cleaning process (and Leadminer qualifies,from what I've seen of his product)is a good buy SO LONG AS IT'S USED FOR SINGLES AND SKEET!

It may even work for short yardage handicap, but beyond the 20 yd line you better tighten up the choke and may need to slow your loads down to keep the patterns together. I will not use reclaimed for my handicap load because the shot cost is small potatoes compared to what it costs me to attend a shoot that I intend to compete (not just shoot for the fun of it).

Just MHO,
    John

13. Lead Miner

Lead Miner Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Here is what good clean polished reclaimed lead shot should look like.
    leadminer_2008_220415.jpg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

mixed shot sizes in reclaimed shot

reclaimed shot for the 16 yard line

reclaimed shot md

reclaimer shot

where does reclaimed shot come from