1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reclaimed shot

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jmac_cope, Sep 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmac_cope

jmac_cope Active Member

I have the opportunity at a good buy on 8 1/2 reclaimed shot.
    2 questions. What is the downside to using reclaimed shot? Is 8 1/2 shot suitable for shooting at the 16 yd line?

Thanks
    JMAC

2. MKillian

MKillian TS Member

Depending on what kind of dirt it was in and for how long it will be eroded and the pellets will be somewhat smaller and lighter than when they were first shot.

Reclaimed shot will always have little shot size stones in it if it wasn't taken out of sandy soil. There may also be little bits of steel if the miner didn't use magnets when he cleaned it.

They can gouge a barrel in a hurry when they slip between the wad petals and come in contact with the barrel... and they do.

Mike

3. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

8.5 shot is harder to break targets in colder weather 30degrees or colder.

Jerry

4. earlybird

earlybird TS Member

You can satisfy yourself on the 16 yd part of your question by shooting a few #9 skeet loads from the 16. I'll bet you will boil any well-hit bird, and break the others you're on. I accidentally grabbed a box of AA factory skeet loads once instead of trap loads. I was shooting a BT99 with a Muller #3 choke tube from the sixteen; halfway in I realized my mistake, but it was practice, so what the hey? Absolutely no difference (to me) between those 9's and our usual 8's or reclaimed shot reloads. It WAS a warm day, though.

5. Mr MardiGras

Mr MardiGras Member

I used reclaimed shot from 16yds all summer and I noticed no differance at all in the breaks. If I was you just use it and you we see for yourself

6. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I'll betcha Leo doesn't use re-claimed shot!!

7. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

I'll betcha that Leo doesn't pay for his ammo!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.