1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

reclaimed shot

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Francis Marion, Feb 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Francis Marion

Francis Marion Well-Known Member

I am contemplating buying some reclaimed shot. I know it has to be cleaned and re graphited. I believe both tasks can be accomplished in a small inexpensive cement mixer, such as one you would get from Northern Tool or Harbor Freight. Looking for a little info on the process and the cost. Thanks in advance.
    P.S.
    As a Wisconsin resident, I feel compelled to comment on the situation in our state capital. I think every greedy, ungrateful, ranting and raving union hack in Madison should shut the hell up and be grateful for what the get, which is much more than the rest of us who pay the bills get.

2. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Steve, Contact lead miner you won't have to clean it.

3. tammike

tammike Member

You will have to weld or bolt in some additional paddle in the mixer. I have the setup your talking about and does a great job on 50 lbs at a time.

4. ken1okie

ken1okie Active Member

I just bought a 1000#'s from Leadminer and it is the best reclaimed shot I've ever seen!! It came from Post,TX.

5. psfive

psfive Member

I have seen some that had been run in a cement mixer in some kind of solvent. The mixer had no paddles and was coated with what looked like rino lining. The shot that came out of it was real nice. Looked like new shot. Paul in Nebraska.

6. Francis Marion

Thanks for the info guys. You never dissappoint. One more question, who is lead miner and how do I contact him (them)?

7. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Unless you buy from somebody that comes recommended, be sure to get a look at the shot you'll be buying before dollars change hands. Depending on what kind of soil it came from, some reclaimed shot is so badly eroded that it looks like dried-up apples and prunes and isn't fit for anything but recycling. What was #7½ or #8 when it was shot is now shrunk to #9 or #10 (if there was such a size).

MK

8. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

From what I have seen a cement mixer does not work very well, it's a joke. I have reclaimed that was run through a mixer and it is still covered with oxidation. It hangs up in my loader. It takes a very aggressive action to remove the oxidation and I don't see how a cement mixer can supply that. I have run some in my Dillon vibratory case cleaner for 2hrs and removed most of the oxidation but is not practical for a large volume and is probably hard on the case cleaner. It makes a nasty mess. Possibly a steel bucket or barrel with an out of balance motor mounted on the bottom to vibrate it would be the way to go. I will never buy more that isn't shiny like new shot.

9. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Beside that, removing lead oxide in a cement mixer mixes the lead oxide with the shot so that when the shot is poured out of the mixer, the lead oxide dust wafts out for the operator to breathe in. Really bad plan if you're at all interested in healthy blood and clean lungs.

People with good sense will let oxidized shot pass along to a recycler. Even trying to reload it as is will put lead oxide dust into the air as the shot is poured from its container to the hopper.

MK

10. Francis Marion

11. Francis Marion

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.