1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reclaimed Shot

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 17145, Nov 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 17145

17145 TS Member

The club I shoot at recently had the lead shot abated for the first time in 25 years. I'm having a hard time getting the lead clean enough, I've built a 2"x4" frame with a screen and wash it several times thoroughly. It seems the lead BB's have oxidation on them, and though they are cleaned & lubricated with graphite powder, they still get hung-up in the drop tube. I'm looking for ideas on how to knock the oxidation off. I was told to put the lead in a tumbler with steel ball bearings and let the ball bearings do the work. Has anyone experienced this type of trouble? Mike

2. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

I wouldn't tumble them with ball bearings, looks to me like the heavier steel bearings would take some of the round out of the shot!! Vinegar will work to take the oxidation off but unless you get it graphited right quick it will come back. I think PBB lubricates his shot with teflon or something like that maybe he'll chime in.

I've used quite a bit of it and miss just as many with it as the best shot money can buy. One thing I don't understand is why we just don't call it used shot instead of reclaimed? LOL Maybe someone has some once fired shot?

3. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

I use reclaimed (once fired) shot. The guy that culled it off our range used an old cement mixer to tumble it and as it came out of the mixer he blew the dirt away with a leaf blower.

I'm not sure what the process was after that, but it's really clean. It sure isn't round though.

4. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

I use a cement mixer to clean and stick a leaf blower in the mixer while it's running. Gets alot out but looking for a better method of cleaning. Open 4 suggestions

5. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

The oxidation off lead shot is very toxic and cumulative in the blood. About the "least intelligent" way I can think of to get rid of it is to knock it off in a mixer and then blow it into the air you're breathing with a high powered blower. That's why many clubs do the smart thing and sell the shot to a recycler rather than release it to the public. There is no safe way to dispose of lead oxides that doesn't involve high heat.

MK

6. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

Ditto with Unknown1.

Buz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.