1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

reclaimed shot question

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Kevin Nelson, Aug 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kevin Nelson

Kevin Nelson Member

I am thinking about buying some reclaimed shot. What are some opinions on it? Does it break targets well? How hard is it on the gun and barrel? I think it has a little dirt and sand in it, how clean does it have to be?

2. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

It needs to be clean. Free of all sand unless you don't care about the barrel. Needs to be thoroughly washed and dried before using. Good for close range shooting. 16's and 1st shot on doubles. Some will appear near perfect while others will look like hell which are likely the pellets that connected with clay. Unwashed reclaim should sell for half of what new sells for in your area.

Jeff

3. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

I bought a 1/2 barrel and have found it to be OK for 16 and doubles. It breaks targets from the 26 OK. I am not on a good roll shooting just now and I seem to break about as many with reclaimed as new ammo. I would not give a difinitive reply.
    It does need to be cleaned. It's h#@@ on a reloader. Dust slows and stopps everything. A cement mixer is a good way to clean it. Harbor Freight has a small one for $100 and you need somewhere to spread it to dry. I built a frame with screen door wire on it. I live in Miss and the summer heat will do the trick. I put about 75# in a metal baking dish and put it in the oven for a while and that worked too. Let the oven come to 200 and cut it off and put the shot in until cool (usually overnight) I did air the oven out and ran it through a heat cycle without anything in it before we used it to cook with again.
    It's worth doing.

4. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Folks who use it break birds and save money. What's not to love? A little work to make it right.

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

An easy way to get rid of the sand is with a window screen. Pour some of the shot on the screen, the shot will stay on the screen and the sand will fall through. Then tilt the screen and let the clean shot roll down into a spackle bucket. HMB

6. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Reclaim shot quality is highly variable but generally you will have a considerable amount of oxidized shot and some gangue to deal with. The lower cost of this stuff makes it attractive but it doesn't load or shoot as well as new shot. I used quite a bit of reclaim shot for 12 guage skeet but didn't find it acceptable for trap. Don't try reclaim in the smaller guages, it is a real mess and pretty much useless. You might luck out and get better reclaim than I have but you really can't count on it. A better compromise in cost vs quality can be found with the Redman shot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.