1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reclaimed Shot Problem

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Quailtail, Sep 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Quailtail

Quailtail Member

I bought 200lbs of reclaimed shot and I am having a problem with it hanging up in the drop tube of my MEC 9000. I bought some graphite but do not know the best way to get the shot coated so it will feed through the loader.

Comments, suggestions would be appreciated.

2. abo

abo TS Member

Mix it half and half and it should run thru ok. Roy

3. lightning20ga

lightning20ga Member

Your freind, the guy abo, is wrong.

Mix about 1 table spoon per 25 lbs, and that might be too much.

Try 25 lbs at a time in anything you can mix it with; cement mixer. Small electric one is perfect.

EDITED BY MODERATOR FOR EASIER READABILITY.

4. abo

abo TS Member

You can also cut the drop tube off about 1/2 inch, so its sraight thru. Roy

5. federal paper

federal paper TS Member

I think abo meant mix it 50/50 with new shot not with graphite. Boy youd never get that mess cleaned up.

6. ninjak

ninjak Member

hello u need a mec part number 8436 it is a straight thru shot tube.
    if u look at the 1 u have now it is smaller at the bottom than the top.
    i have 6 mecs and i replaced all the shot tubes with that number.
    I have had no problems since replaced they all can drop any size shot
    clean or reclaimed

AL

7. Bertmuss

Bertmuss Member

I put shot in my vibrating brass polisher, slicks it up pretty good. Takes 30-60 minutes, depending on how rough it is.

8. revbook

revbook Member

I used 1/4 teaspoon of graphite to 25 lbs. of shot and I probably used too much!

Don in PA

9. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

N injak: Would that be the Steel Shot Tube for simplification?

10. abo

abo TS Member

Yes I meant half and half with new shot and it will go though just fine, Roy

11. 2llc

2llc Well-Known Member

I use 1/8 tsp per 25lbs. Works fine............ Larry

12. ninjak

ninjak Member

Dave yes that is it put that in and u will never have a problem again :)

al

13. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

What does this reclaimed shot look like? It is probably oxidized, brownish looking stuff? Stir it in a bucket of muriatic acid and a little water. Then rinse and graphite.

Bertmuss , I have tried that, made a horrible mess in my Dillon vibrator and still hung in the loader.

14. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I made the mistake of putting two tablespoons of graphite in 25 pounds each in my cement mixer and boy what a mess I created. LOL The hulls turned black after firing, everything gets dirty, especially my hands. But they did not hang in the reloader but I never had that problem anyway. Jackie B.

15. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

With my home made shot I put 25 LB of shot in a 50cal box and 1tbs of graphite and keep turning it over and over end to end. I do it till I'm to tired to do it any more. I have now bought off Craigslist a cement mixer. Its a small mixer like the one Lowe's sells. Its a plastic barrel 3 point stand with wheels. New about $300.00 or less and I got mine for $30.00 used.

16. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

If you want to replace your shot drop tube with a straight thru one, a small piece of 1/2" nominal copper (5/8"OD) tubing is the perfect size for the MEC. Just cut it to size, put it in, and start reloading. I have them on all my MEC's and never a problem with shot bridging... Dan Thome (Trap2)

17. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I had good results adding about 1/2 teaspoon of large flake grapite plus a handful of corn cobb polishing media to about 12 Lb reclaim shot then running that in a vibratory case cleaner for about two hours. - the shot came out looking like new other than it wasn't exactly round. This did solve the bridging problem through my Pacific 366 loader - the straight tube for your MEC might also do the trick with a lot less work.

18. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

I have limited experience with reclaimed but there is bound to be a big difference in the amount of oxidation depending upon the environment of the source and how long it was on the ground. I vibrated some like Wolfram and it still hung up in my PW. I soaked mine in acid and is still not completely clean but no longer hangs up. I will never buy more unless it is shiny lead. Mine was run through a cement mixer before I bought it, a joke.

19. Matt Colman

Matt Colman Member

When i worked at the old Beeline gun club in AZ back in the 70s i reclaimed all the shot and loaded all the reloads to sell.

We never had a problem with shot in the shot tube and never had any complaints. 1 teaspon for 100 - 150 pounds of shot for about an hour in a mixer and will flow as good as new shot.

Why would you buy shot that was not finished?

Matt

20. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

Matt, Your shot was probably not coated with oxidation at all. Oxidized shot will look like creek gravel and be just as slick , no amount of graphite will help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

problems with reclaimed shot