1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reclaimed Shot of Different Sizes

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by t7731, Jul 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. t7731

t7731 Member

Had a discussion last night with a couple of fellows in reference to the reclaimed shot that I have been using. They tell me that they wont use it because it is mixed 7 1/2's and 8's. They claim that the heavier shot will travel faster, thereby making the pattern less dense and more elongated. I accepted what they were saying at first, but after thinking about it for a while, I now have a few doubts.

I would think that the the (bigger) heavier shot probably has more inertia, will travel farther, and pack a bigger punch. That being said, what is it that makes us believe it travels faster? And if it does travel at a higher rate of speed, then why dont the recipes published/tested by the powder manufacturers have different FPS ratings for different sizes of shot?

Can someone with a degree in physics please explain this to me?

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

They are full of dung.........

I don't have a degree in physics. Heck, I can barely spell it but what they are saying is hogwash. You won't tell a difference. I'm loading reclaimed right now with mixed 7 1/2's and 8's. My 18yr old shot 50 straight with it last night at practice. No difference what so ever.

3. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

Does it break the target?

4. mcneeley5

mcneeley5 Member

A few years ago Remington sold a shell called the "Duplex". It was a mix of 7.5 and 8's in a buffered material.

5. Mike Battista

Mike Battista Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Stop talking to your local Mensa Group. Remington made a duplex load of 7 1/2 and 8 size shot. They, Remington, probably have more technical expertise than your friends.
    Mike Battista
    Silver Dollar Firearms
    727 410 5212

6. steveziv

steveziv Member

The difference might be shown on paper (calculations), maybe a chronograph, but not on a trap field.

At any rate, wouldn't the lighter shot travel faster if the same force were exerted on it?

7. Lead Miner

Lead Miner Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I love this site. It gets very anal in here sometimes. Think about it how can a powderload decipher which size of shot to shoot faster. It does not. However you are right when you talk about the larger shot carrying farther so the farther back you stand your shot string will be longer. Heck that might help you. Who says short shot strings are better anyway. You can lead the target more and have a longer shot to target connection time frame. Whoopee

8. t7731

t7731 Member

"Does it break the target?"

Yes, it breaks targets, in fact I broke more than the two guys I was talking to in the round immediately after our conversation.

"Wouldn't the lighter shot travel faster if the same force were exerted on it?"

I am thinking that since the heavier and lighter shot are both traveling at the same speed when it leaves the barrell/wad that they would both continue on at the same speed. Heavier shot should just go further.

9. Lead Miner

Lead Miner Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Anyhow this next winter the Lead Miner will be building a sizer to size his polished reclaimed lead shot. Mostly to eliminate any #6's and the joined clusters. Terry

10. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Some trap shooters have very small brains and are easily cunfused. HMB

11. charleyj10

charleyj10 TS Member

Not supposed to use ANY shot larger than 7.5 in ATA competition and most clubs STRONGLY discourage larger shot.

Mixed shot will come out of the barrel at a uniform speed. Air resistance will cause the lighter shot to slow down more than the heavier shot. The shot string will elongate more and interference between 8's and 7.5's will open the pattern a little compared to uniform shot size. I wouldn't use this from mid to long handicap, but it will work for up close. Might be a good choice for the first shot of doubles. Heck, both shots of doubles!

Charlie

12. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

I miss Pat Ireland......

Guy B.

13. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

If you let it play mind games with you rather than concentrate at the task at hand you are in deep trouble and different sized shot will not help ... Ask them if they can blow smoke rings and walk away, they will really be confused ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

14. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

I use the mixed size reclaimed shot, I noticed on shots of 100 yds. or more, the shot string does get longer to my advantage.....

tony :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

sizing reclaimed shot