1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Reclaimed shot not dropping?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Grade VI, Jul 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grade VI

Grade VI Member

I recently bought some reclaimed shot and it does not always drop in my Mec reloader. It seems to hang up in the drop tube and falls when the shells are rotating to the next station. It makes a mess on and around the reloader. How can I lubricate the shot so that it falls every time. It is a dull gray in color and not polished like new shot. Please help with any suggestions. Thanks
  2. mooneymissle

mooneymissle Member

Buy the steel shot drop tube!
  3. hwy13

hwy13 Member

Hello Grade VI,

I ran into the same situation, I ended up using a funnel that was almost the same size as the drop tube on my MEC reloader, I would mix one cup re-claim & one cup of # 8 shot in the bucket, if this mixture would flow through the funnel it would work in my reloader. Don't breathe the dust off the re-claim.

This mixture works great from the 16 yd line, and cost less than a factory bag of shot. Good Luck

[​IMG]
  4. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

Sounds like you need a bit of graphite mixed in. Mark
  5. Limpy100

Limpy100 Member

Mark is right on,it worked for me.
  6. Johnny

Johnny Active Member

The "dull gray" color is oxidation. That's the problem. Need to get rid of the oxidation. Graphite may or may not help.
  7. Grade VI

Grade VI Member

How do I get rid of the oxidation? I don't have a method of tumbling the shot before using it.
  8. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

Never worked very well for me through my MEC machines either. Found this out years ago and have stayed away from it. As mentioned I mixed it with new chilled #8's. Stuff was mostly flat sided and oxidized, wouldn't even roll on a glass table top. Glad I only had 50 lbs. to deal with at that time.

I'd think about buying some quality reconditioned shot if I could find some but putting time and effort into junk is a waste of time. Just glad I didn't have hundreds of pounds of the stuff to deal with.
  9. Doug Mc

Doug Mc TS Member

Now don't laugh ... but talcum powder will work like Graphite ... you can add it to the top of the bottle (1/4 teaspoon) or take a 2 lit. pop bottle and fill it with shot and add the talcum powder to the bottle and shake ... the talcum powder will eventually work down through the bottle and some will fall out of the shot tube ... makes a little mess ... keep a small paint brush handy and brush it off ... but if you don't have a way to tumble it with graphite it may help ... also slow down ... give the shot enough time to fall ... and if need be wiggle the handle a little bit
  10. Johnny

Johnny Active Member

Grade VI , I don't really know how to get rid of the oxidation. I bought 125lbs years ago, still have most all of it left. It hangs up in the loader also. I ran about 15lbs in a big Dillon vibratory case cleaner once for about 2 hrs. Washed it. Took most of the crap off but still not really clean. Works better but still don't trust the drops. Shells don't all crimp or recoil the same. I had to scrape that crap out of the case cleaner, never did it again. Some claim a cement mixer will work but I am skeptical. Perhaps a chemical is needed in addition to a mechanical action.

Leadminer apparently knows how but he won't say, I asked .
  11. b12

b12 Active Member

In a pinch use armor all. spray in tube and lightly swab out. No powder dust that way. Also try it on you wad guide when you start getting a click or snap when loading. Wipe the fingers off before putting the first wad through. Wild Bill
  12. Doug Mc

Doug Mc TS Member

Johnny if you have access to a cement mixer it will do the job ... the problem is the owner of the mixer may not like the coating of graphite on the interior of the drum ... but if you put in the shot and a little graphite ... let if run for 2-3 hours it will look like new ... you need more abrasion than a vibratory is going to give you ... I make my own shot and have tumbled a lot of it and have seen what 2-3 hours will do for it ... if you can find a mixer that someone will let you use give it a try
  13. Johnny

Johnny Active Member

dmm, the shot I have was run in a cement mixer before I bought it. I don't know for how long but it didn't do much if anything. Gee, apparently Dillon isn't smart enough to know a tumbler works better.
  14. Chuckbuster

Chuckbuster TS Member

GRAPHITE FROM TSC FARM STORE WORKS PERFECT. IT ALSO HELPS ALL HOME MADE SHOT GO THREW YOUR MEC LOADERS JUST LIKE BUTTER. PUT IN A TABLESPOON FOR EVERY 25LB.

TOM
  15. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Active Member

Soak some shot in a Vinegar/water mix. This should get rid of the Oxidation without any of the bad dust. Just wipe off and dry the shot (rag towels & then wash) and you should be good to go!!! If you still have problems with the shot droping I'd mix in some Talcium powder in a small container a couple of pounds at a time to see if it works and how you like it. I would not do this with a single stage loader as the gunpowder and Talcium may mix together. I would think this would give you poor burns and off sounding shells, but in a progressive twin tube loader it should be fine. Good Luck and break all. Jeff
  16. letts

letts TS Member

GRAPHITE Worked in my Dillon. Thats what I would do, takes very little.

Letts
  17. Johnny

Johnny Active Member

Instead of using vinegar I put some muriatic acid and reclaimed in a bucket. The shot looks much better now. Looks like acid is the trick.
  18. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

A lot of work for uncleaned shot. I hope it was free! I've bought reclaimed shot before, but it was cleaned and graphited. I wouldn't waste my time with dirty stuff.

ss
  19. LFT687

LFT687 Member

Graphite worked great in my MEC, but it is messy. Wish I had heard about using talcum powder before I ran out of reclaimed shot.
  20. Grade VI

Grade VI Member

Where does one get muriatic acid and how dangerous is it to use?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.