1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reclaimed shot lubrication

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by trap4u2, Sep 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trap4u2

trap4u2 Member

I just purchased several hundred pounds of reclaimed shot. What is the best way to lubricate the shot before I start reloading with it? Thanx. Joe B.

2. Rogiena

Rogiena Member

hey joe just a hello
    rogiena

3. trap4u2

trap4u2 Member

Hey Bud,
    I see the Gun Buddys are getting some good reviews on the site. Excellent!!!!!!
    Drop me an email. Joe B.

4. missemucho

missemucho Member

Tumble it good to get rid of dust, etc then go on Amazon or EBay and buy some fine powdered graphite. Tumble with the graphite for an hour or so. A little bit goes a long way toward helping it flow thru your reloader.Some writers on here have said John Deere stores carry it, but I couldn't find any locally.
    John

5. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Some reclaimers add motor oil to the reclaimed shot to make it look better. This causes it to become sticky and pick up dirt (any foreign matter). This causes it to flow poorly through your reloader.

The only solution is to wash the shot in a detergent solution and dry it BEFORE adding graphite.

Jim Skeel
    Shoot more 1/2 ounce loads!

6. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

I believe Tractor Supply stores and other farm sevice centers have it. Check McMaster and Carr and maybe Graingers or other industrial supply houses. I myself would not be using any air presssure around a tumbler of lead shot you would be putting a lot of lead dust in the air. Let your fingers do the walking on the net or the phone book.Some old time hardware stores might have it also. As it was mentioned a little goes a long way

7. Andy Moreland

Andy Moreland TS Member

John Deere dealers sell powdered graphite by the pound as lube for sickle bar mowers and such.

Andy Moreland

8. shrek

shrek Active Member

The primary use for the powdered graphite that the John Deere dealers have on hand is for putting on seed corn to lube the finger pick up style planter units.

I know this from owning one.

One thing I have observed about the reclaimed shot that I have is that it seems to drop about 1/8 oz less through my MEC charge bars than the new stuff.

9. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Yep, you want an ounce, use the 1 1/8 bushing.

10. LFT687

LFT687 Member

I shoot reclaimed lead whenever I can get it. I dump some in an old 1 gallon container, like a bleach bottle, add a little graphite to it, and roll it around on the basement floor for a minute or two. I add less than a half a teaspoon of graphite, which is more than enough. It's also pretty messy. I buy the graphite at the local Ace hardware. It's about $3 a tube, but it goes a long way.

Dave

11. trap4u2

trap4u2 Member

Thanx for the ideas. Joe B.

12. 333t

333t Member

Art supply stores carry powdered graphite. I bought what looks like a pint jar or so for about $10.00 a couple years ago. It goes a long way.

Phil

13. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

I got it at John Deere Store. $5 a pound. HMB

14. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

The John Deere dealers are the cheapest. The quart bottle will last you a loooong time.

use about a teaspoon or less to 50 lbs. Concrete mixer tumbling wdill apply it nicely.

HM

15. trap4u2

trap4u2 Member

Again, thanx for all the ideas. Shot seems to do the job when I do mine, will probably buy another couple of hundred pounds. Joe B.

16. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

I have been using Motor Mica which I THINK I bought from Brownells but I'm not sure, to lube wads. It's a very good lube and was wondering if it is suitable for shot?

17. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

John Deere stores, as in a place that sells farm tractors and combines and such not a place that sells little suburban lawnmowers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.