1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reclaimed shot - just the facts please!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BILL GRILL, Dec 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

I have shot it for everything except haddicap and it works just as good as new.
    It is fine for practice handicap also but I use new 7 1/2 for ata. Works just fine at skeet also.

2. rick979

rick979 Active Member

It works just fine for me. I just bought a ton @ 17.50 per bag. With new shot at $35.00 per bag and climbing I cannot get excited about reloading. I shoot new shells or reloaded 7 1/2's for handicap from the 27.

3. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Steve,

That's the best looking reclaimed shot that I've ever seen!

ss

4. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

I bought about 75 lbs last month. been reloading some of it. Mine's not nearly as pretty as what you've got. I'll just usee it for 16 practice and use the good stuff for comp.

Bob

5. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Some have found that an 1-1/8 ounce bushing will only drop 1 ounce by weight with reclaimed shot.

It will not flow through some reloaders. Spolar does not recommend it in their machines.

Jim Skeel

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

If you are getting 1 oz from a 1 1/8 bushing check that shot with a magnet. HMB

7. RRA

RRA TS Member

Last Spring my daughter was taking a Trapshooting Clinic from Phil Kiner. He video taped the shots that were fired. When he slowed down the film you could see the shot pattern.

Phil first checked the choke on each gun. Then the students were vidoe taped. There was a guy who was shooting a full choke and his pattern was noticeably more open than everyone elses. Phil asked him what shot he was using. The student said it was reclaimed shot. Phil said that explained the more open pattern.

So, my feelings are that reclaimed shot may be OK for 16 yards and maybe further back, but I would not use it in a competition. And I would plan on a more open pattern than first run shot.

Rod

8. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I am shooting reclaimed shot in practice at singles and doubles. I reworked the shot myself but it doesn't look quite as good as the stuff in your photo. Still, the stuff breaks targets with authority up close. I am using about 1.1 Oz of the stuff at about 1,200 FpS. I have tried lower shot weights with less than stellar results. Given the cost savings associated with reclaimed shot I think it is a good deal but it will never be great shot. I can deffinately tell there is a perfomance problem when shooting reclaim shot from the 27 yard line so I only use new shot for that event (even practice).

Bottom line ... reclaim is a good way to be able to shoot more and that is a very good thing. Just bring the good stuff on game day.

9. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

It drops lighter by volume because it is non uniform and hence doesn't fill the bar the same as new, uniform shot does.

Lets see some pics of what other reclaimed looks like? Bet it isn't pretty.

10. Post  2

Post 2 TS Member

Another one for HMB. Steel shot is not picked up in the lead mining process.
    Post-2

11. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

It drops lighter than new shot because it is oxidized. The older it is the lighter it is. Reclaimed shot could be twenty or thirty years old!

Jim Skeel

12. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

I'm using a brand called Black label. Its sorted back to size and is very clean. Its not as pretty as what is pictured above. On my latest trip to the range I missed 7 birds out of 150 shots from 16yds. Yes indeed the shot pattern is not as tight as virgin shot. I don't 'smoke' a lot with reclaimed. IMO, using reclaimed shot will not screw with your ability to shot well in organized shoots. But use virgin shot for those shoots. I'm reloading through an old 250 Pacific reloader. The reclaimed shot flows well enough for me. And in the end I guess I'm helping our environment by using reclaimed. Jim

13. sixten38

sixten38 Member

I have reloaded about 1000 pounds of it through a Spolar loader in 12/20/28 gauge. It will not work consistently for 410, you get bridging in the shot drop tube. I have purchase extra bushings and reamed them out slightly to compensate for oxidized shot. I love the stuff for the price, our club sells it at a price tied to the spot market. I do load new shot for competition events. The size of the shot is usually toward the 7.5 size vs 9. I bought a screen on Ebay and there is very little 9 shot in the mix if you try to separate it, to the point it is not worth the effort.

14. phirel

phirel TS Member

The reclaimed shot I patterned several years ago did not look very good on paper. But, there would logically be a lot of difference among different batches of reclaimed shot. Shot from a club that shot a lot of games could have different sizes of shot recovered. Shot falling in a acidic soil would be different from shot recovered in a basic soil. At some clubs, the shot falls onto level ground covered with grass. At my club, the shot hits the side of a mountain at about a 45 degree angle. There are many exposed rocks on the mountain side and the shot hits with enough force to raise a bit of dust.

There is so much variation in reclaimed shot making a general statement that it is good or bad is impossible. Much like home made shot, some is good, most is OK and some is very poor. I was able to make all three types of home made shot at the same time.

Pat Ireland

15. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Since the beginning of 2009 , I have been mixing my reclaimed shot equally with new and have not noticed any loss of targets due to the shot , only my mistakes . I will continue this processs for as long as I buy reclaimed .

16. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

I have been shooting some reclaimed shot that came off of the desert sand at Nellis AFB near Las Vegas. It averages #8 size over 25 pellets. No oxidation. I don't remember ever missing a skeet target with it but smoked targets are rare. Judging my breaks, I would think I was shooting 7 1/2 size shot or larger. Big pieces as opposed to smoke expected with magnum #9 and some choke. Nellis was out of reclaimed shot when I was out there around Thanksgiving Day. Ron Renouf

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.