1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reclaimed Shot For Reloading

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Virgil, May 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Virgil

Virgil Member

Some reclaimed shot will soon be available in my area. I think it will go for around $18 per bag. This shot will be cleaned and it will be a mixture of 71/2, 8. and 9. It will not be polished or graphited. I was wondering if anyone might share their experience with shot like this and if anyone has any particular recommendations about it use. The shot will not be sized. Thanks for reading/replying.

Virgil

2. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

No problems using it for 16s and Doubles. Might even be good for short yardage.

3. melbournemike

melbournemike TS Member

That is all I reload I found no differance in my scores between factory shot and reclaimed!Where are you located I need more shot myself

4. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Reclaimed shot varies widely in quality. The most likely problem you will have is getting the stuff to flow through your loader. It is fairly common to get shot bridging in the drop tube which results in a shell or two with no shot followed by a big mess around your loaders. Polishing and graphiting will help with that.

Performance isn't exactly great but for singles it will be fine. Stick with 1 1/8 Oz (bushing)loads though as the density of this stuff is usually pretty low. I usually get reclaim shot charges that weight closer to 1.0 Oz out of a 1 1/8 Oz #8 bushing.

Final warning, the white powdery coating (lead carbonate)that is on the shot is toxic and is prone to dusting. This powder is fairly solubile in water (blood) and can get into your body through inhalation or ingestion. Lead poisoning isn't something you want to mess around with so be careful and use good hygene.

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

You can get a pound of powdered graphite at you local John Deere Store. Put the shot in an empty plastic powder container with a couple teaspoons of graphite and shake well before using. HMB

6. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

You don't need a teaspoon of graphite for any size plastic container of shot you can lift. A quarter teaspoon will do a milk jug nicely. A teaspoon will do 100 lbs easily with graphite to spare.

MK

7. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

One thing I have been doing to help flow through my loader(spolar) is I put it in a cement mixer and spray some cheap lemon furniture polish on it till it is wet, then add the graphite, it helps the graphite stick, and also makes it a little slicker......the dampness will evaporate if it sets for a couple of days.

tony

8. Virgil

Virgil Member

Thanks for the information. I will probably try a few bags just to see if it worth it. For melbournemike, I live in southern Indiana.

Virgil

9. Harold T. Pack

Harold T. Pack Member

Often the reclaimed shot does not want to flow smoothly through a reloader. Graphite helps but the solution I have discovered is to mix new shot 50/50 with the reclaimed shot. Do the mixing in another container, e.g. 5 gallon bucket, before loading the shot tube.
    Does perfermace differ using reclaimed shot as opposed to new shot due to the reclaimed shot having flat surfaces? Maybe not, for new shot attains flat surfaces as soon as the shell is ignited and the shot progresses down the barrel.
    Keep Your Head Down and Follow Through,
    Harold T. Pack

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
cheap reloading reclaimed shot for sale
reclaimed lead shot for reloading
reclaimed lead shot for reloading shotshells
reclaimed lead shot with graphite

reclaimed shot for reloading

reclaimed shot for sale for reloading

reloading reclaimed lead shot