1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

reclaimed shot clean or melt down

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by copper, Dec 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. copper

copper Member

I have a couple hundred pounds of reclaimed shot I was going to try and clean but thought melting down and making shot from it would be safer way to get rid of dirt and tiny rocks . Opinions

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Getting rid of the dirt and tiny rocks is easy. Take a flat board about 4 feet long and place it at an angle. Pour some shot on the high end and let it roll down the board into a bucket. The dirt, sand and rocks will stay behind as the shot rolls down the board. Use a vacuum cleaner hose with a piece of fine metal screening over the end for the final cleaning. Pour some of the cleaned shot into a 2 litre soda bottle with a teaspoon of graphite powder and shake well before using. HMB

3. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Place a high speed fan to blow on the shot as it rolls off the end of the board and it will blow away anything except the heavy lead shot.

4. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Member

5. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

If you have the equipment, make new shot. Then you'll know it's clean.

6. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

Where are u from. I can get 99% of the dirt and rocks out and make it look new.
    Shootrman795@aol.com

7. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Lead miner, why would you loose 20% by melting reclaimed shot down and making new shot? Is there that much dirt and crud in reclaimed shot?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.