1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reclaimed shot at 27?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by xringjim, Mar 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

Anyone here had any real success with reclaimed shot at 27yds? I went out today with 1 ounce loads and found myself missing some birds I could swear I shouldn't have. I've shot reclaim out to 25 yds with 1 1/8th ounce and done very well. Jim

2. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Why handicap yourself even more using reclaimed shot at 27 yards.

3. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

Tool, well yes, I understand your point. But here's mine. I'm trying to really get good a trap. I believe that IF I'm on target it shouldn't matter if I'm using reclamed at 27. That's why I'm using 1 ounce loads. What I'm trying to find out with this post is just how many others who may have tried this process have found reclaimed shot to be too unpredictable and unreliable at 27. Especially at 27. I can't blame the gun. I can't blame the wad or powder. I can't blame a full choke. I haven't shot a ton at 27 and so I'm trying to find out from those who are at 27 a lot, just what's going on. Tool, thanks for responding, Jim

4. rick979

rick979 Active Member

If you are going to use reclaimed use a full 1 1/8 ounce load.

5. Jack Frost

Jack Frost TS Member

well as luck would have it some people from my club and myself have been enduring a trial and error process with reclaimed shot. We have had great results up to 24 yards. 25-27 yards the reclaimed shot still works for us but it does not dissmantle targets the way new magnum shot or premium factory loads will. We have taken reclaimed all the way back to the porch (about 45 yards) and even broke targets there, however not commonly enough to warrant the use of these shells in a game or shoot off.

The reclaimed shot we used was of very high quality, nearly perfect as reclaimed gets, was re-graphited also.

The verdict: Reclaimed shot is too unreliable beyond 24 yards.

The best load we tested: Nitro 27 or STS or Gun Club hull, STS primer, 21.7gr Green Dot, Down Range Versalite wad, 492.2gr (1-1/8oz) recliamed shot, 2/32" crimp depth. Honestly I don't feel the crimp depth is as important as a good crimp, so if you are unsure of how to adjust your press to do this don't worry about it.

Hope this helps.

J.F.

6. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

Jack, I've loaded with the GD in the same range and had good results also with a 1 1/8 load. Crimp imo is not much of a factor until the case has seen more than 4 reloads. To be honest, smoking targets out to 22yds is no problem with reclaimed shot. At 27 I almost never 'smoke' one. Break'em pretty good to chopping. But even with factory shells I'd have to say I don't smoke them that much at 27. At 27 maybe I just have to hold lower on the house and learn to jump on them sooner. I can shoot 23's with factory loads at 27 without too much trouble. But, that ain't good enough to win. Jim

7. federal paper

federal paper TS Member

Never tried it from 27 'not good enough from there to give a fair trial.I am fair at 16yd,98.5 av.consistant enough to give it fair shake.It will not hammer them as hard as virgin shot,but will break them all. As I know it doesn't perform as well at 16 why consider it for caps? It has it's place kept there it does the job.

8. rick979

rick979 Active Member

If you can't smoke 16 yard targets with one ounce of reclaimed you are not pointing the gun well.

9. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

Fed Pap, I guess I'm going to find that reclaim just can't do a decent job at 27. What might make an interesting experiment would be to try every wad type there is at 1 ounce and see which one delivered the best results. Then going on that data use the best wad with virgin shot. A wad that can produce the best results with reclaim MUST be the best wad with virgin shot. Powder charge will be a whole other experiment. Jim

10. Jack Frost

Jack Frost TS Member

Jim, that pretty well validates the experiments we conducted also. So that we are on the same page, reclaimed is fine 16-24 yards. Reclaimed will crack or chunk targets out to 27 yards but does not break well enough for shooter to read and adjust. Personaly, I would not use the stuff past the 23 or 24 yard line because I really like to read my breaks and doing that helps me to know if I am shooting the tops bottoms or sides off the targets so I can adjust a little.

J.F.

11. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Jim,

There are a some game shooters who shoot at Ben Avery a couple of times a week and all they use is reclaimed shot ... There is one guy who melts down reclaim and makes new shot out of it, and if compared side by side you'd be hard pressed to see any difference between them ... The game shooters usually shoot from the 27 but sometime go back even farther than that and break targets with that reclaimed stuff, and then their partner has to shoot at the first guys pieces if there are any ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

12. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

Place some reclaimed shot on a flat surface and roll it. Now place some new shot on the same surface and roll it. Most reclaimed shot will not roll in a straight line nor will it fly in one. Lead is soft and gets damaged during the initial shot and again during mining.

13. Seitz373

Seitz373 Member

I broke 10/25 with reclaimed shot from 27. I won't try that again

14. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

If your on the 25-27 yard line and looking for a reduction, reclaimed (square shot) is highly recommended.

15. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

Jack, your findings bare out what I thought. 'Reading' your hits or misses with reclaim at 27 is impossible. I KNOW at times I was on a bird at 27 with reclaim and would miss. It would happen at least two times out of each round. And when I can shoot 23 at 27 with factory loads it would prove this even more. With reclaim at 27 I was a 20 to 22 shooter. With factory I am a 22 to 24 shooter. Now keep in mind the factory loads were 1 1/8 loads. My reloads were 1 ounce. Between the two of us the findings would point to using reclaim out to 23 yds and ONLY virgin shot beyond. At some point 'reading' your shots at birds becomes VERY important in becoming a better shooter. Using reclaim beyond 23 would appear to hamper a shooter in this quest. Holes in a pattern will drive a shooter to start doubting themself. And that's one thing you can't correct at the loading bench. Jim

16. LDAdd

LDAdd TS Member

It's simple...just pattern reclaimed at 42 yards along side of "good" shot and you'll have your answer.

On the other hand I wish I had tons of it for singles and doubles.

Larry

17. Jack Frost

Jack Frost TS Member

I'm not convinced that patterning reclaimed shot could give you definitive results as the reclaimed pellets very so much. I would rather let virgin shot take over beyond 23 yards and feel a little better about things.

J.F.

18. CANTWIN

CANTWIN Member

When I was young and stupid I shot reclaimed shot and did ok,now I'm old and stupid and I shoot home made and do good.When I'm shooting games for money I shoot new hard shot why handycap yourself.

hook

19. Jack Frost

Jack Frost TS Member

Exactly my point!

J.F.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.