1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reclaimed or New lead

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by SlimCookie, Jan 9, 2017.

1. SlimCookie

SlimCookie Member

ive got two options for lead to reload 7.5 shot.

Reclaimed: $25 per 25lbs
    New: $32.99 per 25lbs

What would you choose?

2. Magnus

Magnus Member

Shoot reclaimed for singles and new 7.5 for longer yardage.

Packman 13, warpspeed, Tlsmeds and 3 others thanked this.
  3. jroccasano

jroccasano Member

I think reclaimed shot is fine for shooters that are confident in their abilities. For me, I always reload new shot so I can take as many variables out of my misses as possible. The reclaimed just doesn't pattern as well as the new. At 8 dollars difference it's about 50 cents a box difference in cost for one ounce loads. 2 cents a shell. Just not worth it for me to introduce another possibility for a missed target. Just my 0.02

Bill Hom and jmac_cope thanked this.
  4. trappermike

trappermike Well-Known Member

Slim, if all you want is 7.5 load new. Reclaimed is usually a mix of 7.5, 8 and 9. Shoot reclaimed for practice if you want to save money and shoot more.
    Mike

5. Claypoppy

Claypoppy Well-Known Member

I'm really curious...what brand of shot is this? Also, is it Magnum shot?

32.99 is really cheap for any type of quality Magnum shot.

6. mike-sid

mike-sid Active Member

to answer your question, I say buy new. I bought reclaimed once, and thought it was messy. Maybe they added graphite? but non the less it was messy and a magnet picked up some steel. My club sells Eagle magnum for $35, that's what I buy.

7. SlimCookie

SlimCookie Member

I'll have to double check on brand of shot. I am assuming it's magnum shot....I'll give the shop a call tomorrow and find out. The shop is about 1.5 hours away from me so I do want to make sure it's magnum before I drive.

Claypoppy thanked this.
  8. Brady509

Brady509 Well-Known Member

BOOM!!!!

9. valmet

valmet TS Supporters TS Supporters

Lead miner 1oz reclaim for singles and first dubs. New 1-1/8 for handi and #2nd dubs. Dennis

10. chipped99

chipped99 Well-Known Member

I shot 500lbs of reclaimed and found that targets still broke fairly well but the farther back I went the breaks became less than comforting so I went back to new shot. The reclaimed that we bought was not very clean and gobbed up the machines and causes yet more grief. I have never used any of Lead Miners but I have heard lots of nice things about his operation. I don't think I would hesitate to shoot some of his product. Yes, new shot cost more but it makes me feel better about my shooting and you all know this is a head game!

Attached Files:

11. 2skeet

2skeet Active Member

I've shot well over a 1/2 ton of Lead Miners reclaimed shot. It's clean and I've yet to have a problem with it. I use it for my 12/20ga. trap & skeet practice loads. I switch back to new shot for registered birds. It's saved me money. Also the Lead Miner is a great guy to deal with.

12. barjr2478

barjr2478 Active Member

Be careful of the reclaimed shot bridging in your loader. The square deformed edges sometimes stack all too well in the drop tube and guess what..... vacuum time. But for the price you can't beat it for 16 yards. I can't tell a difference at that yardage.

13. Zoom.Golly

Zoom.Golly Well-Known Member

Is my math correct? I'm figuring it would save you 50 cents a box. That's not enough for me.

I wouldn't use it for skeet because is would have so many 8s and 7 1/2s mixed in.

I wouldn't use it for handicaps.

So it would only be for 16s. At 50 cents a box, the annual savings on that segment of my reloading just don't justify the extra inventory effort for me.

14. mikkeeh

mikkeeh Active Member

I assume you're talking about Sportsman Den in Shelby Ohio. The shot brand is Federal magnum.

15. SlimCookie

SlimCookie Member

Damn you're good! Federal is 32.99 and west coast is 36.99

16. Buzman

Buzman Active Member

I shoot reclaimed for practice and 16 yard to 20 yard local Lewis class meat shoots. ATA I used new shot. So far works for me

smokintom thanked this.
  17. mikkeeh

mikkeeh Active Member

Was up there monday. They had Winchester209 for 26.99, and Promo for $109.

18. cjmies

cjmies Member

Not all reclaim is created equal. I recently purchased 500 lbs of Leadminer's and it reloaded perfectly. I have heard of other's reclaim not feeding thru loaders properly.

19. redfin1956

redfin1956 Active Member

I bought 500lbs of reclaimed last year ,its great. 30 bucks for 25 lbs. just trying to save a buck, and keep shootin, new stuff is 38 a bag

20. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

It depends.

If the price you mentioned above is for reclaimed versus Eagle or some brand that is traditionally relatively soft, I'd go with the reclaimed shot. You won't be able to tell the difference at 16 yards, singles or doubles.

If the shot is good magnum shot (West Coast, etc.) go for the magnum. That's a great price for magnum.

Search tags for this page

spolar gold on bones