1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reclaim shot opinions

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by apmech23, Feb 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. apmech23

apmech23 TS Member

With the rising cost of shot, I am more and more considering the use of reclaimed shot. What are your opinions good and bad? what problems have you noticed in loading it or shooting it? I am a weekend warrior basically, but enjoy shooting good scores, thanks for anything you have to say.
    Matt

2. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

I have often thought of this question too. The only thing that I can think of is if it is not "re-dropped" the pellets are not round thus the chances of fliers are much greater.

Bryan

3. chipking

chipking TS Member

I have seen some pretty ugly pictures of what reclaimed shot (supposedly cleaned and re-graphited) did to a MEC charge bar in a single reloading session. I don't think I want to put that down the barrel of any gun I own, in fact I can't think of any body I dislike enough to put it down their guns either.

chipking_2008_030340.jpg

This is the picture as posted by Mokeman3 on Shotgunworld also note the debris still present when the shot was sifted by using a 1/10" screen.

--- Chip King ---

4. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

About the only good thing about it is the price. You will have problems running it through the loader and it just doesn't break the targets as well as new round lead shot does.

But if it means the difference between shooting and not shooting then by all means use the stuff. Most guys compromise on that point and use reclaim for practice and new shot for matches. I have shot a bunch of reclaimed shot and have managed decent 16 yard scores with it but anytime you have doubts about your ammo, it will show on the scoreboard. At the longer distances you can really tell the difference between reclaimed shot and new.

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Wow. Looks like you'd be better off shooting rocks. I'm not impressed. In fact i'd be pissed to no end if i paid for that sh!t. I agree with "Chip", wouldn't put that thru my gun or loader at that. Thanks for the lesson.

Matt

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The Jan. Feb. issue of Trapshooting USA has a very good article on how to get the most out of reclaimed shot. HMB

7. 1brucem

1brucem TS Member

I'm wondering about it as well. A member of our state's mens team uses it exclusively and breaks targets hard in all 3 events. If it wasn't for that fact, I would never consider it. We can get it here at a great price, cleaned, washed, re-graphited and the price of store bought in about 39 plus tax. If I were to buy store bought, I'd give up reloading and shoot Estates which we can get at 50 a flat. Does anyone know of any patterning data? Bruce

8. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Take a look at the Trapshooting USA article, it has pattern pictures with different chokes and velocities. HMB

9. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

What you see in that picture is just a very poor example of not being processed right. I now have about 750 lbs. of uncleaned shot and once it's cleaned then poured through a leaf blower stream of air any dust, micro rocks are blown away from the pour. I do not use any graphite and have not experienced any bridges yet.

10. Palos shooter

Palos shooter Active Member

It helps if you wash the shot first..After washing you have to dry the shot and run a magnet to pick out any steel shot or pieces of metal..Sometimes pices of barb wire.Then you can tumble it with a little graphite
    palosshooter_2008_170424.jpg

palosshooter_2008_170425.jpg

palosshooter_2008_170426.jpg

palosshooter_2008_170427.jpg

11. Wthomas

Wthomas Member

We have brought in a couple of tons of reclaimed shot from "Letusreclaim" and we have found it to be great for practice and 16 yards. It looks pretty good on the pattern board and I personally have had good scores (for me) out to 20 yards on the "wobble" events. I use both a MEC 9000 and A PW 900 without any issues. Since the shot is a mixture of sizes (71/2 up to 9's) it can have problems past 20 yard, so I use new shot for all my handicap shooting. In registered, I use reclaimed on the first shot in doubles.

Overall, I have had no complaints on the shot from our shooters, and it sells as fast as I can get it. Looking forward to getting more.

Bill

12. XP100

XP100 Well-Known Member

I use wads in all my reloads so the small particles in reclaimed don't touch the barrel. I have shot as many good scores with 17.00 a bag reclaimed as 37.00 Magnum shot. I also shoot home made stuff. I wish I could get more reclaimed for my own use and to sell.

13. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

So far I have bought 2 55 gallon drums of it. I believe the guys sign on name is leadminer. I have not had one problem with it and shot my first 100 straight at registered 16 yard with it. Take it from there. Look at what you are buying before hand and check with other people that have bought from him.
    Bill

14. seitz647

seitz647 Member

The stuff I used was excellent - I would recomend using it at 16yds only for competion - ok for handicap practice - it was clean mixture of 71/2 and 8 - wanted to buy more but couldnt - J Mroczka

15. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

Kind of wish there was a lead miner on the west coast.

Bryan

16. slugbug1

slugbug1 Member

Thats some god awful looking reclaimed shot in that picture, no wonder it tore thr bar up. I load reclaimed in my Spolar with no problem, and as far as I can tell it shoots as good as factory back to at least the 20. It's also 15 bucks a bag cheaper. GaryL

17. $$$SHTR

$$$SHTR Member

I use quite a bit of reclaimed as the price of new is way too high for 16's and first shot on doubles. Before I use it though, I run it thru a tumbler with some powdered graphite. Makes the stuff look like new and only takes about 20 minutes in the tumbler.

Tomas

18. RRA

RRA TS Member

I have been using 1 ounce reclaimed shot for practice for the last six months. You can see a slight variation in shot size, my guess would be mostly 7 1/2s and 8s.(See image below of the reclaimed shot I use) You can see compression dents on the shot, but for the most part it is round. The shot has been cleaned and "graphited".

I set up a blind panel for my wife and daughter with reclaimed shot, store bought magnum shot and some shot I bought from a local guy who makes his own shot for sale. I had them tell me which one was the most consistant. We all agreed the store bought shot was the most consistant. But the reclaimed looked as good as the local guys shot mainly because the local shot was not perfectly round.

I pay $20 for a bag of reclaimed and new shot is $39.

My scores at the 16 yard line are the same with reclaimed as they are with new shot.

Having said that I load new shot and 1 1/8 ounce for ATA events.
    rra_2008_030313.jpg

19. Duck

Duck Member

$$$SHTR,

Any tumbler recommendations?. How much do you clean and graphite at a time?.
    Are you tumbling with media?. Sorry for all the questions.

Don;

20. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

wrthomas-Leadusreclaim mined our fields 2 summers ago and all the lead they processed and we sold, we had NO ccomplaints. I've shot the bejeezus out of it on sporting clays. The targets I've missed has NOT been the shot's fault!

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.