1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

reclaim lead how is it done?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by flylta, Jul 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flylta

flylta TS Member

May 23, 2007
    I have access to a boyscout range and to my knowledge they have never in over 20 years reclaimed the lead from the ground.

They are getting ready to change the configuration of the ranges and I was wondering how reclaiming the shot is done. Could a group of guys get together and do this in a weekend or is there more to it than that?

Ron aka flylta
  2. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Mar 14, 2006

I believe it requires specialized machinery and may take longer than a weekend. They did a range near me last year and it took a few weeks for them to finish the job, even with all of the machinery.
  3. 682LINY

682LINY Member

Aug 14, 2006
    at one of the ranges I shoot at ,,,,you shoot over a berm,,,about 70 yds out,,,,trees at about 220 yds out,,,,pavement inbetween,,,,they sweep it up with a machine,,,clean and package it,,,,the owner of range has a paving company
  4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Green Bay Wisconsin
    The ususal practice on dry ground is to skim a few inches of topsoil and process it. Machinery is a couple of drum devices and a dry washer which is a coal chute with a slot in it and a furnace blower pushing air through the slot.

I saw the equipment at Ben Avery once, never saw it running.

Without the special equipment you would have a hard time.

5. KRE

KRE TS Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Years ago, I used a 4 yrd rubber tired loader to load the top 4" of soil into a hopper we built over a old cement truck mixer sitting on the ground.
    Had water running into the mixer drum to float out the soil, weeds ect.
    Then just reversed the drum and dumped the lead and water into a chute that fed an elevator for placing the lead into 55 gallon drums. The transistion between the chute and elevator is where the water drained back into the holding pond we dug prior. The pond was covered back over after we were done. Worked just fine.

Looked like something "Larry the Cable Guy" might come up with, but the bank account never knew the differance. :)
  6. capnrico

capnrico TS Member

Jun 3, 2006
    Our club looked at that.

Our club has been there since 1936 and the lead was never reclaimed. The Ohio State Trap Shoot was held here in 1947 and it was a very happening place through the 60's. We figured there was tons and tons of shot here.

We called a man in Michigan who has the equipement and does it for a living. He stopped and took samples with a spade and he had all sorts of info.

Our drop zone is maybe 40% in low land that sometimes floods. He claimed that damp ground will oxidize the lead and break it down.

He also said:

Your drop zone is 100 feet from the front of the bird house to about 200 feet out.

That your soil needs to have a high PH level (around 7-8) to keep the lead from oxidizing.

Lead that is reclaimed is generally what has been shot over the past 4 years.

You need to be throwing about 200,000 targets a year to make it worth while.

Your sample needs to yield over 1 pound per sq. ft. for them to be interested.

You will get a 15% better yield with all the vegetation killed.

He takes 70% of the take, you get 30% to either reclaim or 30% of what a smelter will give him in money.

You can reclaim the shot with a mortar mixer, compressor and air hose. You twirl it in the mixer and seperate the shot from the soil with the air hose. He claimed it was really simple and effective.

He also said "Sorry!" Not enough for him to bring his equipement down.

They scoop up 4-6 inches of soil with front-end loaders and drop it into a machine that processes the lead from the soil and level the dirt back out. The shot goes in 55 gallon drums to take to the smelter. He claimed that the gound is left more level than when he starts.

Good luck!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

lead reclaiming

reclaim lead trap s