1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Recipe for beef jerky in smoker

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Kemper, Feb 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kemper

Kemper Active Member

Anyone have a recipe for jerky they care to share.

Thanks.

Barry Kemper

2. Kemper

Kemper Active Member

3. postmastertim

postmastertim Wheels are falling off.... TS Supporters

Mmmmm Jerky!!

Tim

4. ThorsDad

ThorsDad TS Member

KISS . 1 Quart cold water , 1 Cup brown sugar , 1/2 Cup non iodized salt ( fine sea salt works well ) 2 Tablespoons mild mollasses , 1 Tablespoon Whorchestershire , and 1Teaspoon Tabasco . Soak for 8 hours then Smoke . Jay

5. d endicott

d endicott Member

I use 2# light brown sugar...1 cup salt...allspice(to taste) clove(to taste) nutmeg (to taste) cinnimon(to taste) layer meat in a small cooler cover with brine, another layer of meat with brine...let it set for 24 hrs. rinse and smoke with applewood for a few hrs or until done. I use the same for salmon.

6. Kemper

Kemper Active Member

thank you.

barry

7. Kerz

Kerz Member

Would recommend giving Hi Mountain Seasonings a look www.himtnjerky.com
    I add some fresh ground black pepper and a little Worcestershire sauce.
    Vic

8. AEP

AEP Member

All depends how you like it. I soak mine in regular Yoshiada's for 24-48 hours. Then add course ground pepper. I cut my jerkey less than 1/8" but more than 1/16" thick. I do use a meat slicer. I use top round beef, however there are other cuts that work very well also.

I start up my smoker, Luhr Jensen Big Chief, about 1 hour prior to smoking. After an hour I load the meat. I use a thermometer. When the Inside temp reaches 165 degrees It's ready. This makes the jerky soft. If you want it dry and chewey you may want to let the temp get up to 180 degrees.

There is no right way or wrong way. It's what you like and you will need to play around until you find what you like.

Good luck,
    Andy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.