1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Recipe for 3/4oz load and Titewad Powder?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by danthemanx07, May 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. danthemanx07

danthemanx07 Member

I was wondering if anyone had come up with a component recipe for a 3/4oz load using Hogdon's Titewad powder and AA hulls that they liked? I am trying to get components together for my first batch of reloads, but I haven't been able to find any data on 3/4oz loads using Titewad. Hogdon's data center has plenty of 7/8oz loads but nothing for 3/4oz. I was hoping to use CB's new 3/4oz wad, but I don't want to guess on the powder charge.

I am new to reloading, but before anyone suggests it, I have a copy of Lyman's Reloading Manual on order and will be reading through it when I get it in hand.

Any help from some more experienced folks would be great.

Thanks,
    Daniel

2. oz

oz Active Member

hodgdons.com

3. HTSmith

HTSmith Active Member

I've been loading the very light loads for years. Never got satisfactory 3/4 oz loads until I went to Winchester AALite and Alliant Extralite. Unless you plan to drive them at over 1300 fps I'd say skip Titewad. Its an excellent powder for 1 oz and OK for 7/8's.

4. HTSmith

HTSmith Active Member

I've been loading the very light loads for years. Never got satisfactory 3/4 oz loads until I went to Winchester AALite and Alliant Extralite. Unless you plan to drive them at over 1300 fps I'd say skip Titewad. Its an excellent powder for 1 oz and OK for 7/8's.

5. HTSmith

HTSmith Active Member

In this case I'd say there's a good reason you are not seeing the data. I've been loading very light 12 gauge loads many years--in the beginning to lessen recoil but now also to save on lead costs. The only powders I've found for consistent 3/4 oz loads in the 1200 to 1275 fps range are WW AA Lite and Alliant Extra Lite. Tightwad is real good for 1oz and ok for 7/8 oz. Just my experience.

6. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

Claybuster website has a bunch of recipes for their new 3/4 oz wad 12 gauge wad. (see link above)but nothing with Titewad. Mark

7. rondl

rondl Member

I have used Titewad for 3/4 ounce loads, cut back the powder recommentation for the 7/8 ounce load a half grain or so. The better way is to go with Extra Lite.

8. locdoc

locdoc Member

Oh, hell. I thought y'all were wanting info on 12 ga. 3/4 oz loads. I'd be interested in that, too.

Doug Whiton, P/W dealer/dist

9. locdoc

locdoc Member

12 ga. load data found. Try the link above. Sorry, no TiteWad formulas.

Doug Whiton, P/W dealer/dist

10. zaob1

zaob1 Member

Try reloading a few a different weights. Crono them and see what the velocity is for what you are looking for. No suggested load, get with your club and try a few below any suggested, then come up from there.

Rick

11. 4th. down

4th. down Active Member

The 3/4 oz. load of choice:

AA hull
    Fed 209 primer
    X-Lite @ 16 grs.
    CB0175-12 wad

Approx. 1300fps. # 8 1/2's. excellent for 16 yds., skeet, 5 stand and short to medium sporting. Burns ultra clean with very good performance - what's not to like?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

titewad powder recipe