1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Recieved yardage without shooting ata event

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by ohsandbagger, May 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ohsandbagger

ohsandbagger TS Member

Friend of mine recieved 2 yards in the mail,now on 25 yard line.Called his local ata rep. asked him why,he told him because he broke a 98 last year.that event wasn't a ATA in fact it was 25-16s 25-18s 25-20s and 25-ata.I could understand if it was all ATA,but not in a shoot like this. Maybe its just me i am not seeing the big picture,but i am shooting in a shoot like this today. Hope i don't break a 100. just a opinion.

2. wam6187

wam6187 TS Member

It is called "known ability".

From the ATA rule book pg. 20(PDF version) - section C:

"a. To arrive at known ability the following should be taken into
    consideration as far as such information is or can be made
    available:
    (1) Official registered targets (abnormally low scores should be
    disregarded). Averages of all registered shooters are compiled
    and published annually.
    (2) Non-registered scores including Shoot-off scores, nonregistered
    events, practice scores, etc.
    (3) Any other information bearing on a shooter’s ability to shoot
    and break targets."

Bill

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

Yardage can only be awarded by the EC or a member of the CHC. There are precedents where a delegate has recommended that yardage be awarded based on outstanding shooting in non registered events that have substantial purses.

Pat Ireland

4. ohsandbagger

ohsandbagger TS Member

Ok,i think most people know the rules book.this man hasn't shot a ATA event in 10 years. 65 years old likes to shoot what i call the junk shoots,maybe there is more to it but i don't think so.I guess what i am saying is what about all the other adverage joes camping out on the 20 yard line, breaking good scores in these junk shoots.just another reason to bring the attendance down at the ATA events.whats next yardage for protections. :(

5. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Pat, what you wrote is true. There's another way to gain real estate also. A club operator can call the CHC or EC to add more real estate too. Happened to me when my yardage was 23 with an 89 average, singles average was 93 or there abouts. The man that assisted me was banned for life from ATA. He called them after I broke more targets than he and another shooter as we shot from 52 yards behind the trap at his club. Hap

6. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

It's hard to put a puzzle together if you are missing some pieces.

Jim

7. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

MIA, how are you liking that new Kolar by now?

I have shot a friend's Kolar TS, and I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see one in my future.

One hell of a gun!

Hauxfan!

8. famill00

famill00 TS Member

Tammers is one of those people that wants to be at the 27 yard line and will never take a reduction even if his averagae is 52. I guess for some it is prestige of being there.....but I had rather stay at the 20 and put up consistent good scores.

Forrest

9. 45ACP

45ACP Member

To: OHsandbagger

The two guys your talking about are also friends of mine. I don't agree with the assignment of yardage as it came about. However, our friend did shoot and has shot ATA events just this year. He and our other friend has registered targets for this target year. A registered shoot is a ATA event. What say Pat Ireland? Am I correct? Bill

10. Hauxfan

The first time I picked up a Kolar, it fit me like a glove. And I beleive it was the No.1 stock.

Another thing that I couldn't get over was how fast I was on the target.

I shot a TM-1 Perazzi and then a Beretta, but am now just shooting my Perazzi.

I'll shoot you an e-mail and if you would give me Zar's e-mail I can get in touch with him...if you will.....

I liked your comment "I'm not a rider"....Me neither, if I attempt to do this, I'll either stop to shoot, which is a no-no, or I'll bead check, which is another no-no.

Thanks for all the information.

Hauxfan!

11. ohsandbagger

ohsandbagger TS Member

No,its not me i am on the 25 hope to be on the 27 if i get head out of my you know what.Its only one man he broke a 19 on his new handicap trap yesterday,i guess he still won't be going to the big shoots and playing the options.I ve been around this sport most of my life because of my dad, just wasn't interested intill about 4 years ago.10 or 15 years ago i thought there was a lot of money being played in the options. I usually try to step out of the box and try to look at the over all picture.i just hope trap shooting is heading in the right direction.i really enjoy shooting whether i break a 92 or a 99,but a 99 is lot more fun.i hope i didn't offend anyone,not my intention.
    I guess i did stir the pot a bit,have a great memorial weekend.

12. KYsandbagger

KYsandbagger TS Member

to whom it may concern the two guys who recieved the yardage also are friends of mine!! I have no problem with people earning real estate for a score that was broke, but I do have a problem with people getting punched for something they did not do!! So who ever the cry babies are that turned them in, and you know who you are guess what you are just jealous!!!!!! But don't worry they will learn to shoot the 25 and it will be right back to the way it was.

KYsandbagger

13. phirel

phirel TS Member

I do not have any knowledge about the circumstances that resulted in the award of yardage. I do believe that the members of the CHC take their job seriously and make great efforts to be fair to all shooters. If anyone is interested, e-mail me the details of the non registered history of the individual, especially $ won, and his ATA number. I leave Tuesday morning for the NC State shoot. I will probably help classify along with a member of the CHC and I will discuss the situation with him. I can look up the 4 year shooting history of the individual.

Pat Ireland

14. Hauxfan

Quite a few years ago, I went to the Grand, and when I was classified, he looked at my average and tacked a yard on.

Apparently I had a 91+ average, and had never won a yard that year.

I had no problem with it, rules are rules......deal with it or go home.

Hauxfan!

15. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

is there a difference in proven ability in 16 yards events vs handicap? example, i recently seen a guy break 2 99 in two different 16 yard events at two differnt clubs but his average allways in the low 80"S. another guy allways ends up at the 20 yard handicap spot right before the state shoots etc. needless to say he will win at a major shoot this year as a vet.

16. Al P

Al P TS Member

According to current ATA rules, you can simply request a handicap yardage classification of 25 yards(assuming you are currently classifired at less than that). Submit a written request through your ATA Regional Rep and things will happen.

17. dollarsworth

dollarsworth TS Member

hey, i think i know these guys that got this free yardage! this day and time it's hard to get any thing free,but yardage is something most sane trapshooters don't want. i think if all sandbaggers were treated the same,or to be nice,all shooters treated the same,then no one would have a bitch. as we all know,the people in charge of the free yardage don't treat everyone the same. what every one is failing to realize is that your buddies that are sandbagging are really just cheating you too when they shoot against you at money shoots,wheather it's registered or not! that's why i have stopped shooting most money shoots that use ata yardage for the basis of shoot yardage. i shoot from the 25 to the 27 yd., line with the same guys at the non ata yardage shoots, and can't hardly beat them,then at ata yardage shoots, they are standing anywhere from 4 to7 yds.in front of me! i'll shoot against anyone from the same yardage,from short yardage to the 27yd. line. the system needs fixed,but i don't have the answer. i guess if everyone was treated the same it would be ok,but this will never happen! yardage in the mail really sucks and if "they" aren't getting all the sandbaggers,then they ought to not get these two! that's my dollarsworth!

18. markdenis

markdenis TS Member

The "known ability" rule is a joke. The only known ability I know of in the ATA is Leo, Marshall, and the rest of the pros that can break 99's and 100's consistently. To pick and choose who gets yardage sent in the mail is chicken shit. The people who has this done to them are people who are "NOT" a threat to their state delegate or CHC. Anyone a delegate or CHC thinks they might cause trouble or file suit they will leave alone. I have been in the ATA many years and have seen this time and time again.

Kiner's article and several more ideas and suggestions have been kicked around by ATA members that have merit and could be good for the ATA. The problem is nothing ever gets done or changed that helps the average shooter to become more competitive against these pros. Yes of course "SOME" shooter can get reductions, but if one of them ever shoots a couple of good scores in small night non registered event somewhere they are automatically pegged as someone that needs to be watched and a candidate for mail sent yardage. The ATA, at present, operates under a set of rules that are so outdated and unfair to the average shooter its sickening.

WE NEED CHANGE. And as I have stated before on this forum, this is the only sport I know of that competes regularly for money and trophies that "DOES NOT" have a professional division. That alone should make us question the direction and livelihood of the ATA.

Mark Rounds

19. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Back in the 1960s Dave Thurston a 20 yd new ATA shooter broke a 199 or a 200 in singles and was awarded the 23 yard line for a 200 bird 16 yard event shot at Middletown Ohio, It was the Mid-American. There was a good shooter then and Dave made the remark, " I AM GOING TO BEAT HIS ASS TODAY " and he did it and won the shoot. Then was given 3 yards. Dave if I remember correctly did not shoot anymore registered targets. He was a hell of a good shooter in those days and shooting a Model 12 w/release trigger. He then shot only non-registered shoots and budddy shoots for years, he now a golfer last I heard, put the gun in the closet. I shot a lot of shoots w/Dave over the years. Another shooter I know was Jerry Shockcor and he shot registered 1 year, broke a lot of 50s in non-registered events and was awarded 2 yards, resigned from the ATA and is now a tournament bass fisherman.

Dr.longshot

20. Smart Mart

Smart Mart TS Member

After what Terry Dean, delegate of Ky. done to me I will never shoot another reg. target.Adding yardage to a person you have never seen shoot sucks,but think of all the money I've saved.#9103624

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.