1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

receipt for trap load!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BrokeTrapDad, Jun 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrokeTrapDad

BrokeTrapDad Member

Ok Im sure this question has never been asked in this site!...." said in my laughing voice" But here it goes for Im sure the thousanth time im sure. Who has a good load for 2 3/4 dram 1 1/8 load #8 for MEC Jr. loader i.e bushing to use, powder brand and witch one, wad, etc. and also how to I know if the charge bar is the correct one, and will the same receipe work for both AA hulls and STS hulls I have both. Thanks and look forwrd to yoru advice

2. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

you mean recipe??

3. BrokeTrapDad

BrokeTrapDad Member

That Too? lol

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

20 grains of Green Dot powder~~Winchester 209 primer~~Fig8 wad~~1 1/8oz #8 shot

This load can be used in either a Winchester AA hull or Remington STS/Nitro hulls. However it works best with 19 grains of Green Dot in the Remington Hulls. Low pressure and low velocity. Great Trap load for all events.

Alliants site is posted above and has all the recipes. Be sure to get a scale. You should base the bushing number by weighing your powder drops not what someone else says to use. Every batch of powder will be different and may require going up or down as much as 2 bushing numbers. Use the bushing charts to get an idea of starting point only. I do not load on my MEC anymore but i believe a 33 bushing will get you in the ballpark. Then check with a scale and go from there.

ALWAYS CHECK AND RECHECK POWDER DROPS WITH A SCALE

For example:

I will spot check loads while i'm loading. I weigh the first shell then maybe the 25th etc. You can't overkill on safety especially when your kid is the one shooting the loads.

If its been awhile since you have loaded shotshells or you never have, it may be best to find someone at the club that could maybe give you a refresher course. Some of your questions lead me to believe one of these is true. I have been in your shoes and had some people from both here and local walk me thru it. As with alot of things, reloading can be dangerous if mistakes are made. Its not hard and anyone can do it with some quick lessons. Being cautious while loading is a good thing. I myself ask questions on loads here all the time. Don't experiment and only load known recipes.

Happy loading.

5. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Yep, it's a pretty standard question, and you can make the answer abt as complex as you want it to be, but basically:

- you need a scale to verify powder drops, and you'll need a few thimbles: 28-32 will do it just fine, and the charge-bar numbered: 302118 and it will be red.

- either RemChester hull will do nicely, and you may be able to mix&match.

- any primer that is not a Fed209A of a CCI-Magnum is fine.

- Any RemChester 1-1/8oz clone wad is fine: Downrange, Windjammer, Duster, Claybuster all make them, and there's no performance difference.

- for 1150fps (2¾dram) 1-1/8oz, you have a lot of latitude there, also: Alliant Red & Green Dot, Promo & Clay dot; Hodgdon Titewad, Titegroup, 700x, Clays; Accurate Solo & Nitro; REX 1 & 2 ...

Look at what's available locally. Once you find out what's available & easy to get, building a specific load is not hard.

Bob

6. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Good advice and info as always Bob. The only thing you may make sure he understands is your slang terms. Not saying this guy is stupid but just say'n................

Here we go:

Thimbles= Bushings

RemChester= Either Remington or Winchester hulls

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.