1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reccomend a Gunsmithing Screwdriver Set

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by RemRod, May 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RemRod

RemRod TS Member

Can anyone reccomend a good gunsmithing screwdriver set?

Thanks

RemRod

2. Anti-Fed

Anti-Fed Member

Brownells has plenty.

Jed

3. kehrby

kehrby Active Member

Definately do not go the cheap route! I speak from experience. Brand new Ruger Single six and a bit broke on me. Messed up a perfectly nice frame!!!!

Steve

4. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Brownell's and any gunsmith screwdrivers are not hollow ground, they are parallel sided.

5. RemRod

RemRod TS Member

what does that mean?

6. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

it means the blade thickness is parallel not tapered, this keeps the screwdriver from camming out of the screw head like a tapered driver will.

tony

7. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Don't buy anything from Wheeler Engineering. It's flat out junk. Double check whatever you decide to buy. Much of the good stuff has been replaced by junk, but sold at the same price.

8. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

I use craftsman and grind them myself when the no longer work take them bacck for new ones.
    Joe

9. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

I bought a Brownell's set from them about ten years ago, spent around 120.00. Knowing the quality of them and no breakage I consider it money well spent and could be half again more expensive and still worth it.

10. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Like deercreek, I purchased a quailty set from Brownells 20 years ago and they are like new today. The brand is Chapman
    here is one on ebayhttp://cgi.ebay.com/CHAPMAN-GUN-SCREWDRIVER-TOOL-SET-CASE-SCREW-DRIVER_W0QQitemZ360158600982QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxq20090528?IMSfp=TL090528153003r15052

11. AJKohler

AJKohler Member

Brownell's - end of story.

Tony

12. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

I have a set made my Grace, it's made in a small shop in NW Mich. It comes in a nice zippered case for storage. You can find them in Brownells as well as Cabela's. It also comes with brass punches and a small brass hammer. I haven't found a gun that the set does not fit.
    <ung src=<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v460/jbmich/?action=view&current=IMG_1260.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a></img>

13. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Brownells are great. Get the large set if you have the money and also the optional thin bit set. I have many bits fitted for certain screws by using a dremel tool. Jeff

14. Clay KillR

Clay KillR TS Member

Don't buy the one from Cabela's in the red plastic box. Cheap POS.

15. RemRod

RemRod TS Member

Thanks for the info cubancigar2000, I actually ended up winning the bid on ebay.

-RemRod

16. johnjohn91387

johnjohn91387 TS Member

Actually have some 30 years experience with both the Brownells set, AND the Chapman set, with the adaptor pack "G". (which is probably before your time, but it's a folding plastic case with a dozen or so more hex bits).

When I find the Brownells set doesn't have the right bit, I know that I can depend on the one from Chapman, esp. if the requirement is for a hex bit.

Good stuff, and those who suggested either on this thread are obviously smart and experienced people.

John

17. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

I have broken several Brownell's bits, I wasn't aware of a replacement deal.

gun fitter , you'll always have one that fits.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.