1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Recaimed Shot Recipe ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Schwick, Oct 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Schwick

Schwick TS Member

Would anyone out there like to share there recipe for cleaning, graphiteing, and heating reclaimed shot?
    I have seen this summer some reclaimed shot that was really nice looking. It was shiney and clean. I have been told that when you mix in the graphite you should apply some heat. How much? How Long? Then blow off the excess dirt & grahite after that I am assuming ?
    I have some and I would like to improve the quality. Lynn Schwickerath Iowa

2. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

If it is shiny and clean ... why mess around with it?

Just load it and shoot!

3. T-Sobania

T-Sobania TS Member

I've never heard of using heat but there are various ways to clean and graphite it. At first I didn't think I had to graphite it. My reloads were about 1/16 oz. light which was fine with me. After a couple hundred rounds through my PW press I could see it was wearing some of the parts and then I started using graphite.

We bought a few tons of reclaimed shot that had a fine layer of clay dust on it. So we came up with a method of washing, drying and appying graphite. We purchased a small cement mixer for just over $100. We built a small box with 2 layers of screen from the hardware store. We had an old squirrel cage fan and had a piece of ductwork attached to it that would fit over the box.

We put 70# of shot in the mixer with water and run it for 15 minutes. Dump the shot into the box and give it a quick spray with the garden hose. Put the fan over the box and start another batch in the mixer. When the 15 minutes is up the shot in the box is dry and you continue the process.

When it's cleaned it's a dull grey color. To apply the graphite and shine it up put 70# in the mixer with 1 tablespoon of graphite and let it run for 20 minutes. That's it! With this little set up and a case of Grain Belt I can clean and graphite 1,000# in a day.

[​IMG]

Cheap Chinese made mixer.

[​IMG]

Box with screen.

[​IMG]

Fan that fits over the box.

[​IMG]

Washed shot

[​IMG]

Graphited Shot.

Good Luck

Tony Sobania

4. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

I use ½ teaspoon of graphite to 25# of cleaned reclaimed shot; that's more than enough. You need only enough to keep it from clumping in the press. No heat required.

If I feel really trick, I exchange the graphite for ¼ teaspoon of moly powder (only because I have a gallon can of the stuff}.

MK

5. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

A nearby club did a lead reclamation project earlier this year. All the resulting lead was sold to a scrap metals dealer except a ton or so kept by the club.

The raw product was NASTY. It was wet and included a large percentage of dirt.
    I cleaned about 1000 pounds with a cement mixer. Thrashing it in the mixer with water got rid of plant matter (small pieces of grass, weeds, etc.) and the dirt. The remaining contaminants were very small rock and extremely fine sand.

The rocks were about the same size as the shot. I never did figure out how to get rid of it but there was only a trivial amount. The sand was a fine powdery grit. I was concerned about what it do to my loaders so I spread the otherwise clean lead on an old window screen and ran a garden hose on it. That flushed away all the grit.

FWIW, reclaimed shot measures light. I've loaded about 25 pounds on a MEC 650 with an adjustable bar. The bar is set to throw one ounce (437 grains) of hard Lawrence #8's. Using the same bar, this reclaimed shot weighs in at 400 grains. For comparison, 7/8 ounce is about 383 grains.

I've also loaded a few pounds of the reclaimed lead on a MEC 9000G. That loader has a fixed MEC one ounce bar. Standard MEC bars tend to throw charges slightly lighter than what they're marked. This particular one ounce bar is throwing 380 grains of the reclaimed shot - almost spot on 7/8 ounce.

A few observations:

1. I've shot 300 shells loaded with the reclaimed shot. So far, I can't tell the difference in performance. They smash (or chip) singles targets depending on how well one centers those targets. I haven't tried reclaimed shot any further back than the 16 yard line.

2. While reclaimed shot weighs light, it apparently occupies about the same space as a full ounce of shot. I'm using the same hulls and wads (12S0 and WAA12SL) as usual and haven't needed to adjust the crimp or anything else.

3. I've heard reports of guys loading reclaimed shot that hasn't been thoroughly cleaned. They evidently use a lot of graphite and just have at it. Having seen the fine sand in reclaimed shot, I wouldn't run dirty shot thru a loader of mine for love nor money.

4. If anyone needs graphite in quantity, farm equipment dealers sell powdered graphite for use in planters. I bought a one pound bottle yesterday at a John Deere dealer for $5.31. A pound of graphite will last me until the end of time : ).

sissy

Added comment...

If you don't add enough graphite, reclaimed shot will bridge on you. Don't ask how I know.

6. psfive

psfive Member

I have seen some reclaimed shot run in a "cement mixer" with slovent. To remove the solvent they used rags thrown in to absorb the last of the solvent. Then remove the rags add graphite and roll it more in the mixer. It looked good I assume it loaded fine I never heard. Paul in Nebraska.

7. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

With the lead in a cement mixer..after cleaning.. when I add a little graphite.. I always use a squirt or two of tri-flo with about 300 pounds of lead.. Makes it very slick..and kills any long term storage problems..

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

Paul- Absolutely, a solvent must be added to the cement mixer when cleaning shot. For dirt, the best solvent is water. A little soap added to the water will make it clean even better.

Pat Ireland

9. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

You don't want to inhale ANY of it!!

You do not work around oxidized lead, cadmium etc. without wearing a NR-100 respirator among other protective gear.

MK

10. SONO MAN

SONO MAN TS Member

I bought 500 lb of reclaimed shot and the only thing I did to it is use a leaf blower to get as much dirt and little rocks as possible out of it. I only use it for practice up to 23 yards. At 55 cents a pound, I think it is worth but that is me.

Peter.

11. mwm86

mwm86 Member

Where is everybody getting their reclaimed shot, and is .55 cents the normal going price right now. Thanks Bret

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.