1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rebuilding action on Valmet 412ST

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by clayslayer21, Mar 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. clayslayer21

clayslayer21 TS Member

Any gunsmiths on here in the midwest have experience with rebuilding this particular action? If so, how involved is it? The top lever is just about dead center. I know that these guns are built on the same platform as the K32. Just hoping someone can give me some insight into this gun and getting action rebuilt.
    Thanks.

2. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

There are two ways to correct the position of the top lever. Both ways require adding material to either the bbl or the top latch, maybe both, depending on how loose things have gotten.

I don't know what the hardness is of the top latch, but with a Krieghoff, there heat-treat quite hard. So with the Krieghoff, welding the ears on the bbl, where the latch engages is that option.

If the Valmet isn't that hard, a matching welding rod can be used to weld the latch. Then the latch can be re-ground to match the angle on the bbl.

If you can wobble the bbl around while it's locked to the receiver, just reworking the latch may not work. Welding the edges of the bbl may be neccessary also.

Of course, any welding on either one of these pieces will require that part to be reblued, because of the discoloring, and because of the weld clean up.

Doug Braker

3. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

First close gun and remove forend. With action closed does the barrel wiggle in the frame? If not, and the gun doesn't open on firing, save your money! Although the Valmet had a similar top latch design as a K-80, the top levers often were at center from the factory!!

4. clayslayer21

clayslayer21 TS Member

Thanks guys. I figured someone on here could answer my question. Doug, I checked out your website and if I need to get this done...looks like my gun will be heading to MN.

5. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

As oleolliedawg said, if it doesn't wobble or wiggle, then wait. The cost to do the guns with a top latch exceeds the cost of a regular locking bolt type of gun($125). Because of the reblung.

Doug

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.