1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rebuilding a PFS...

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mikepacific60, Aug 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikepacific60

mikepacific60 Member

Hello to all...

I know it's not recommended by Vern Brown, but has anybody got any tips on how to disassemble, clean and reassemble the compression unit (ie the 'Recoil Absorber Assembly') of a PFS.... Cheers Mike

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

Disassembly is simple. Just remove the adjusting nut and the Belleville washers will come out by themselves and land all over the floor. Cleaning them is simple, just a soak in just about any solvent. Reassembly is a problem. The washers must be put together in matched pairs and put back in the tube in a specific order. That is a major problem.

The stack of washers are sealed in a tube and I don't see how they can get dirty.

Pat Ireland

3. WarEagle2017

WarEagle2017 Active Member

I bought one here on TS.com a while back from ( I wont mention His name here because He said that it was in good shape when he sold it to Me ) when you would put it up and pull it into you shoulder it felt like it was full of sand ( Grinding )and it was all screwed up, so I called and spoke to Vern, Vern said that if I sent it to Him He would go over it for Me for Free, well when Vern got it He called me and confirmed what I said earlier "" THAT IT WAS ALL SCREWED UP "" The compression unit contains 540 recoil absorbing washers and have to be installed in sets of two countering each other which requires a special tool, He would have do it for nothing but He also had to replace the top bar, if you happen to tighten the rectangular thing that holds the cheek piece in place to tight you restrict the recoil movement on the small top Bar, any way it cost Me with shipping 160.00 bucks to get it right, so if I was you I'd send it to Vern. Good Luck

4. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Vern does not need the whole unit.. if shipping is a problem.. Just remove the grip and cheekplate.. and it fits in a USPS one price box..

5. mikepacific60

mikepacific60 Member

Thanks Pat, drhuner & PerazziBigBore....looks like I should leave it alone!
    Cheers Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.