1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rebarrelling a Small Ring Mauser

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 7remmag, Jul 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 7remmag

7remmag Member

I purchased a small ring long action Mauser rifle made by Gewehrfabrik Danzig. It has been sporterized and I'm looking to have it rebarrelled into a caliber that has more bullet choices available than the 8mm Mauser that it's barrelled for currently. So I have two questions the first being does anyone know someone who will rebarrel a Mauser action in the state of New York? I know Hart barrel will do it but they are a tad expensive. I also did some research and found that small ring Mausers cannot stand the pressures of certain cartridges so does anyone know what cartridges I would be able to get it barrelled for?

2. chipking

chipking TS Member

The model 98 Mauser both large ring ~1.4" and small ring ~1.3" which this is all have 3 lugs and should handle all the standard pressure level cartridges. The pressure issues you are referring to are more aimed at the models 93-96 which have a small front receiver ring ~1.3" but only 2 locking lugs. The 8x57 cartridge is ~57mm long but the magazines will usually accept a full length 30-06 based cartridge which has a case ~ 63 mm long. I would think that 30-06, 270, 280 should work if it is a long action or 7mm-08, 308 if the magazine is not long enough to accept the full length cartridge.

--- Chip King ---

3. twcpdc

twcpdc Member

Check with E. R. Shaw They make good barres and will short chamber them. So you can deepen them with reamer to proper head space. Tom

4. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

If your gun is the 98 type, the 6mm Remington, 260 Remington, or the 7/08 are great choices. Since you are building a custom rifle, loading for it is part of the fun. Do not overlook the 260.

If it is the cock-on-closing type, the 257 Roberts or 300 Savage are great choices.

Don't laugh at the 300. It has harvested trainloads of game, and is very accurate with the right loads. The 257 has harvested its share, as well. These rounds do very well at 50,000 PSI.

Put a GOOD barrel and stock on it. You only have to buy it once.

OTOH, if the 8X57 barrel is in great shape, and you want a low priced game rifle, it is one of the best balanced cartridges ever. If your gun is a 98 type, the Eight, which is loaded to 61,500 PSI in Europe, will do ANYTHING the '06 will do. European rounds throw a fairly heavy bullet at a moderate speed.

I have a mint 1948 Husqvarna M-640 on a large ring FN action in 8X57S that is one of my all time favorite rifles.

A 200 gr Nosler Partition at 2500 FPS will harvest any game in North America.

5. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I'll second ER Shaw. They are pretty good barrels and cheaper than HART or Douglas. I converted a small ring to 30-06 and set it in a Bell and Carlson composite stock with a timney sportsman trigger. It made a good hunting rifle. The only problem was that the magazine box is really just a touch to short for the 30-06 round and some brands of ammo (especially soft point)do not feed smooth and will hang up. Since there is not the need for rapid fire when hunting, this really didn't affect much, a quick wiggle with your finger will free the hang up.

6. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Shaw does indeed make good barrels. I have used them for builds with no complaint.

7. jaeger18

jaeger18 Member

Third on E.R. Shaw. You can send the entire action to them and they will send you back a complete working firearm. For mausers I think you are better off with this route. The accuracy that you will get will be on par with the action you are sending out. Hart barrels are great, I don't think the benifiets will show on an older piece like a mauser.

Chris

8. dverna

dverna Active Member

I looked at doing this a while back and concluded it was better to sell the thing and buy a Savage. You will be money ahead and have one of the most accurate rifles you can buy.

Don Verna

9. sts1100

sts1100 Member

There is a gunsmith between Keuka lake and Waneta lake that can rebarrel your action. Don is correct regarding the cost. I had a pre 64 model 70 with a shot out 22-250 barrel. I had the action trued, lugs lapped and rebarreled with a Shilen stainless steel barrel chambered in 25-06, I could have bought a Rem. 700 for about the same cost. The action was my great uncle's so it was something I wanted to keep. I also have a 98 Mauser heavy barreled chambered in 22-250 that was my great uncle's which is too heavy to carry so it spends its time in the safe.

10. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

My father had one done in 7x57 or 7mm. It shoots well and it does cock on closing. I have been told it can be fixed to cock on opening but I have yet to find someone to do it. Sorry to say the gunsmith who did the work is no longer with us.

11. 7remmag

7remmag Member

Thanks for the information everyone. I still have to decide whether or not I want to keep the Mauser because I know it will be quite an expensive route to customize it. My biggest hang up either way is that I have a pretty good feeling that I'm going to be losing a good deal of money by selling it.

12. sts1100

sts1100 Member

In your original post you asked for someon in NY to do the work, where are you located? I can get the information for the person close to Keuka lake if you are interested.

Dave

13. 7remmag

7remmag Member

I'm in a town right outside Ithaca, NY. But I don't like to be associated with that town for reasons I'm sure everyone can guess. I would rather not post my address on a forum like this but if you, Dave, could give me the information for that Gunsmith that would be great!

Kyle

14. gordy h

gordy h Member

Shaw gets my vote , just bult a 35 Whelen on a 98 last year, shot a Bison at 180 yds one shot kill. Butch H

15. Taxidermy

Taxidermy Active Member

Penrod Precision located in North Manchester, IN. I think he is one of the best. Mark Penrod. Have work preformed by him and is outstanding. thanks Ronnie

16. sts1100

sts1100 Member

Kyle,

I understand your comment about Ithaca, I used to to go to Cornell to work in a lab occasionally.

Here is the contact info
    All Outdoors is the business name
    Dave Allen
    davida@linkny.com
    607-292-3714
    607-234-7757

Located in Wayne NY, not far from you. I was happy with his work on my rifle.

Dave

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
mauser small ring barrel tap ebay
mauser small ring barrels

small ring 8mm mausers

small ring 8x57
small ring mauser 30 06

small ring mauser barrel

small ring mauser forum

small ring mouser 7mm-08